Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 96 of 170 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 4234

Thread: The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    That PBS, what a waste of money I agree though, it is a pretty telling piece.
    PBS? I watched it on HULU because I think cable is a waste of money.

There was quite of bit of information that I did not know before I watched it. I also think it is a very interesting contrast with Dr. Stanley’s book The Millionaire Next Door.
    However, after seeing it, I am even more of an independent, but I wonder if things will ever get better.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A conservative "family values" candidate is charged with domestic abuse.
    http://gawker.com/5963594/failed-fam...mestic-assault
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Today Romney & Obama are having lunch. Do you think anything good will come out of this meeting. I am optimistic that the President will incorporate at least some of Romney's idea into his plans for the next 4 years.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Today Romney & Obama are having lunch. Do you think anything good will come out of this meeting. I am optimistic that the President will incorporate at least some of Romney's idea into his plans for the next 4 years.
    My guess is Obama is wanting to see if Romney will drink beer. Other than that, maybe he is asking if the Romney of pre-2008 can come back and help fight the good fight for healthcare, social equality, and tax reform.... or not.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think it's a token gesture. It's pretty obvious Obama does not like Romney at all and I doubt winning the election changes that. On top of that, Romney is now toxic to both Democrats and Republicans.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I think it's a token gesture. It's pretty obvious Obama does not like Romney at all and I doubt winning the election changes that. On top of that, Romney is now toxic to both Democrats and Republicans.
    Yup. Rmoney has nothing to offer BHO.

OTOH, I'm finding it frustrating that even NPR is tremulously reporting on the gentle fiscal decline and the political posturing behind it as if it were the ennnnnnnnnd of the worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrld-uh! sigh.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Meh politics is so boring now that the election is over. This fiscal cliff stuff is so uninteresting due to all the obvious posturing.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Meh politics is so boring now that the election is over. This fiscal cliff stuff is so uninteresting due to all the obvious posturing.
    "The Games People Play"
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Just after I made that post I see this gem:

Senate rejects treaty to protect disabled around the world

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    NPR tries so hard to shill for republicans these days its not funny. It's almost as if they think republicans might actually change their mind on attacking them constantly.

NPR Fools.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Thank you for reminding me of the glee I experienced watching Fox's election coverage a month ago. Schadenfreude in the first degree, if ever there was.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Thank you for reminding me of the glee I experienced watching Fox's election coverage a month ago. Schadenfreude in the first degree, if ever there was.
    Shades of Dewey/Truman. I like what Morris had the cajones to say.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    NPR tries so hard to shill for republicans these days its not funny. It's almost as if they think republicans might actually change their mind on attacking them constantly.

NPR Fools.
    It seems to be a quality many Democrats and liberals have - this desire to make peace with neocons. Sort of like those people who show up in the news every so often who get mauled to death after insisting that they can make friends with bears.

In either case - neocon or grizzly bear - he is not your friend. He has no desire to be your pal and sees your entreaties as weakness and an opportunity to destroy you.

Keep your friends close. And keep your enemies as far away as possible. Pack pepper spray if possible.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Just after I made that post I see this gem:

Senate rejects treaty to protect disabled around the world
    Truly shameful. but also I think it exposes the fact that so many senators don't even understand what they are voting on. All this would have done is apply our own American disability laws as a model for the international community. We would have no new requirements. But we just have some really stupid and hateful politicians.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Truly shameful. but also I think it exposes the fact that so many senators don't even understand what they are voting on. All this would have done is apply our own American disability laws as a model for the international community. We would have no new requirements. But we just have some really stupid and hateful politicians.
    Here it is in full text. I read over it and I don't see how it relinquishes any control to the UN other than they have the ability to change it and it would take a year for the US to drop out of it.

I find it ironic that Iran supports it given how they treat women.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    It was pretty sick to see Santorum bring his severely disabled daughter to a hearing to argue against the treaty. I'm really hoping the treaty passes in the new Congress. I'd be surprised if Reid doesn't bring up again since it makes the GOP look bad.

Unfortunately anything involving the UN brings out the fringe right wing lunatics. I mean just look at Agenda 21.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What is your prediction of the Fiscal Cliff? Will we go off it? If so what will really happen? Do you think an agreement will be made and if so, what do you think it will look like?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    What is your prediction of the Fiscal Cliff? Will we go off it? If so what will really happen? Do you think an agreement will be made and if so, what do you think it will look like?

The Gentle Fiscal Slope will be seen as a nothingburger while the GoOPers make idiots of themselves and BHO gives them enough rope to continue to wrap it around each others' necks.

Oh, and events will be reported as they occur, not as transcribed from a press brief.

hey, a guy can dream that all these will continue, can't he (save for the transcriptions, which need to stop)?
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My guess is our dysfunctional congress will come to an agreement that does the following:

- Raises the rate on the top 2% to pre-Bush years.
    - Continue the AMT patch for 1 year
    - Extending the doc fix for 1 year
    - Allowing the payroll deduction to expire
    - Keep 800 billion of the sequestration cuts / loophole closures.

Honestly, I am confused how the strongly R (tea party) people can be against the sequestration and increasing of taxes. The CBO estimates that it would reduce the deficit by almost double the "fix" of all the cliff stuff. Yes, it will stifle growth, but that isn't what many tea partiers are about... they want reductions in government / spending / etc. This will do that.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    There has been discussion about Michigan becoming a ‘right to work’ state. The union people make it sound like the end of the world, the GOP makes it sound like the best way to boost the economy and create jobs.

I don’t know enough about the regulations but from my general understanding of the regulations, it would not require anyone to join a union and would not require them to pay to be part of the union.

What are your thoughts on right to work laws? Is that all that they do or is there something else that was not listed?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So we have this:

GOP senator backs tax rate hike on wealthy
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...thy/?hpt=hp_t1

Then we get this:

BREAKING: Sen. Jim DeMint will step down from Senate
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ate/?hpt=hp_t3

"No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come," he said.
    So he is leaving his public servant role to make money at a think tank? Hmm this smells of Sarah Palin.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    There has been discussion about Michigan becoming a ‘right to work’ state. The union people make it sound like the end of the world, the GOP makes it sound like the best way to boost the economy and create jobs.

I don’t know enough about the regulations but from my general understanding of the regulations, it would not require anyone to join a union and would not require them to pay to be part of the union.

What are your thoughts on right to work laws? Is that all that they do or is there something else that was not listed?
    I share many views with the Democrats. Their unflinching support of unions is not one of them. I hope this gets done.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    My guess is our dysfunctional congress will come to an agreement that does the following:

- Raises the rate on the top 2% to pre-Bush years.
    - Continue the AMT patch for 1 year
    - Extending the doc fix for 1 year
    - Allowing the payroll deduction to expire
    - Keep 800 billion of the sequestration cuts / loophole closures.

Honestly, I am confused how the strongly R (tea party) people can be against the sequestration and increasing of taxes. The CBO estimates that it would reduce the deficit by almost double the "fix" of all the cliff stuff. Yes, it will stifle growth, but that isn't what many tea partiers are about... they want reductions in government / spending / etc. This will do that.
    I think they forgot that huge cuts will stifle growth. Spending money supports growth, regardless of who is doing it. I just hope that this process gives an honest look to what programs should be cut and which ones should remain. The idea of slash slash slash is simply too short sighted, but some things should be trimmed.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

+ Reply to thread
Page 96 of 170 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 2:53 PM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  4. The non-political political thread