Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Let's Go To The Coliseum

Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Let's Go To The Coliseum

One of my brothers and I have this little semi-competition about how many baseball stadiums we've been to over our years on the earth (he has me by 2). We also got to talking about other sports as well and he has been to a ton of golf courses more than I have, but I have about the same ratio of soccer stadiums over him.

So all you Cyburbian sports fans, of the 4 major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), how many stadia have you attended a sporting event?

MLB: 20 (13 still standing & 7 torn down)
    NFL: 3
    NBA: 2 (1 standing & 1 torn down)
    NHL: 2
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

May 2005
    The Fox Valley
    Blog entries
    I've been to U.S. Cellular Field and Wrigley Field in Chicago numerous times to see White Sox and Cubs games respectively. I've been to Miller Park in Milwaukee to see a couple Cubs/Brewers games and at least one Brewers game (where the Cubs weren't the opponent). I've been to Soldier Field in Chicago three times for non-Bears events (Bon Jovi, Luke Bryan, and an NIU/Wisconsin football game); Guns N' Roses next month will be my 4th visit there. I was at the Metrodome in Minneapolis for a long weekend to watch my brother play in a big college baseball tournament (including some games in the middle of the night!). I've been to the United Center in Chicago numerous times for concerts and once for a Blackhawks game. I've been to Toyota Park in Bridgeview once for a Chicago Fire game. I've been to Allstate Arena in Rosemont numerous times for concerts and a few times for Chicago Wolves AHL games.

Otherwise, that's about it as far as my visits to professional sporting venues are concerned.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    NHL 5
    MBA 1
    NFL 1
    MLB 1
    Nascar 0.5 (Went on a tour)
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Cyburbian Plus
    Jun 2003
    MLB - old Yankee Stadium
    AAA Baseball - old Mile High Stadium

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    I've just been to all the Phoenix venues.

NFL 2 - they moved
    NBA 2 - they moved
    NHL - 2 they moved - got a construction tour of the Coyotes place.
    MLB - 1 I actually did some of the as built drafting for Bank One.
    Plus PIR for the NASCAR fans.
    Firebird for the hot rod fans.
    I'm not counting spring training.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Aug 2001
    The Emerald Coast
    MLB - 13 - The Kansas City A's stadium and the Seattle Kingdom are gone
    NBA - 2
    NFL - 2 - Candlestick is gone
    NHL - 1
    Annoyingly insensitive

Watched a game in the former stadium:
    New York Yankees, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds, Texas Rangers

Watched a game in the current stadium:
    Chicago Small Bears, Cincinnati Reds

New York Giants, New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, Pro Bowl (@Honolulu)

Indianapolis Pacers

New York Knicks

New Jersey Devils

New York Rangers

I did attend something like 8 or 10 USFL games ... Herschel Walker and the New Jersey Generals
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break
    MLB - 1
    NBA - 0
    NFL - 1
    NHL - 1
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Jun 2011
    The Woods
    MLB - 3 (Milwaukee County Stadium for a Brewers v. Yankees game, Miller Park for a tour, Oriole Park for a tour).
    NHL - 1 (PNC Arena - Carolina Hurricanes)
    NFL - 1 (Bank of America Stadium - Carolina Panthers)
    NBA - 2 (Charlotte Coliseum - Charlotte Hornets, Time Warner Cable Arena - for an AC/DC show...that counts right?)

Nov 2002
    Ocean to the east, land to the west
    MLB (9)- Fenway, Old Yankee Stadium, Homerdome (MSP), Miller Park, Rogers Centre (Toronto), Memorial Stadium (Baltimore), Safeco (Seattle), Chase (Phoenix), Wrigley, and a few minor league places (Portland ME, Grand Rapids MI, Saint Paul Saints MN)
    NBA (2) - Fleet Center, Target Center
    NFL (1) - Gillette
    NHL (0)

Also went to concerts at the Boston Garden and Foxboro Stadium, and tried to get into Camden Yards the first year it was open but no luck.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Apr 1996
    New Hampshire
    MLB - 6 (Fenway Park, Camden Yards, Rogers Center/Skydome, Busch Stadium, Oakland Coliseum, Jack Murphy Stadium)
    NBA - 3 ("Old" Boston Garden, TD/Boston Garden, Market Square Arena)
    NFL - 0 (oddly have never attended an NFL game in person)
    NHL - 3 (TD/Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens, Bell Centre)
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Jun 2011
    The Woods
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    MLB - 6 (Fenway Park, Camden Yards, Rogers Center/Skydome, Busch Stadium, Oakland Coliseum, Jack Murphy Stadium)
    Wrong!! It's Oriole Park AT Camden Yards! The ballpark is Oriole Park, the sports complex is Camden Yards. The Ravens play at M&T Bank Stadium AT Camden Yards. They make a tremendous deal out of this in Baltimore.

Jun 2009
    Where the Wild Things Are
    NHL 1
    NBA 1
    NFL 4
    MLB 4 (including the torn down Comiskey Park)
    Nascar 1 (Phoenix International Raceway, 2 if you count Indy since they do also run the Brickyard 400)
    Indy Car 1

I've been to quite a few college stadiums, as well (basketball and football)

College BBall 4
    College FB 4
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread