Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Very confused about what field of planning to go into???

Very confused about what field of planning to go into???

Hi guys, Im an undergrad in urban planning and will most likely want to pursue it at the masters level. The thing is, I have 0 interest whatsoever in dealing with social issues through planning, or seniors issues or broad overreaching policy initiatives to combat community issues. I do not want to work in the governmental sector at all.

My interests in planning include wanting to plan and develop suburban communities and other master-planned developments. I have a strong interest as well in sales in the housing industry and working to build residential communities, but from what Ive learned in my program so far is far less technical than I was hoping with no focus on drawing plans or the financials of it to turn a profit in the development industry.

Do you think planning is right for me or are there jobs out there that pertain to my interests? I live in Alberta, which is booming so there are no shortage of jobs, but was wondering if I am a right fit for planning or should be pursuing something else when I get to the masters level.

In my spare time, I enjoy drawing community plans for subdivisions, so I know I am somewhat on the right track.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Sounds like you need to look at master's programs in Real Estate Development, Landscape Arch or Arch instead of Planning. Urban Design/Planning masters are hit or miss, if you want to do the actual design most Planning Master's programs will not prepare you for that. Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by masterplan View post

In my spare time, I enjoy drawing community plans for subdivisions, so I know I am somewhat on the right track.
    MLA hands down.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would argue for the Masters in Real Estate Development or a dual degree MUP/MBA. If you like the developer side more than the policy side, you need to get your finance understand straight.

Making yourself attractive to large developers means something more unique than an understand of policy, or the ability to draw. I think the MRED would be great.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Sounds like you need to look at master's programs in Real Estate Development, Landscape Arch or Arch instead of Planning. Urban Design/Planning masters are hit or miss, if you want to do the actual design most Planning Master's programs will not prepare you for that. Best of Luck!
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    MLA hands down.
    I third this. Landscape architecture, architecture, real estate development, or even civil engineering are all better paths to what you want to accomplish than planning.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Breaking into the planning field?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Feb 2010, 9:30 AM
  2. Getting into the planning field
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2009, 9:47 PM
  3. Is there hope for me in the planning field?
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 11:50 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Apr 2005, 3:10 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Aug 2001, 2:12 PM