Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Odors you don't object to...but should (aka the fresh paint thread)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Odors you don't object to...but should (aka the fresh paint thread)

Y'all need to be more careful about making stupid thread idea references in the FAC - some of us are completely unable to discern jokes from serious suggestions!

Just about any aroma in excess is going to become disgusting or even induce nausea at a certain point, but do you ever find that certain odors one might not normally think of as desirable are tolerable or even pleasant when exposure is brief/small. Unusual things like gasoline, musty material, tires, tar, sawdust, fresh paint, turpentine, or even skunk?

You know how like 2% of the population is not affected by poison ivy? I must be in that 2% where skunks are concerned, because unless I'm trapped in an enclosed area with the scent for a prolonged time, the smell really doesn't bother me. Gasoline is a scent that I actually find pleasant and will roll down the windows if driving past an oil refinery on a summer day. Newsprint is another smell that's not unpleasant in small doses. How about you - does anyone enjoy the scent of fresh paint?

Then there's the flip side of the coin too where you find pleasant, or unobjectionable smells becoming seriously UNpleasant after sufficient exposure. For instance I used to find the scent of frying food quite pleasant and was overjoyed the day I discovered that the scent of fried food seemed to be almost everywhere on the island of Okinawa. After a couple of months, though, I came realize there was no getting away from it and began to find it unbearable after a year! To this day the smell still causes a visceral reaction. Another example - I once dated a girl who wore a certain perfume all the time. I thought the smell was great when things were going well but oddly about the time the relationship began to go sour so did my liking for the scent. Maybe there's a stronger link to our olfactory senses and psychology than we realize.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    ^^ Did you grow up in Jersey?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    ^^ Did you grow up in Jersey?
    There are a handful of Joisey natives around here that are positively delightful to pick on.....but sadly I'm Michigan born 'n' bred. There is, however, a little oil in this state around the Mt. Pleasant area
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Sometimes I don't object to my own flatulence
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    In the good old days of elementary school, I used to love the smell of mimeographed paper! And also the very strong markers......and also the rubber cement.

The transformative smells: Stetson was a popular fragrance among the high school boys, which I loved at the time, however, if I smell it now I feel physically ill!! Actually all fragrance makes me sick to my stomach. I working hard to get my fair city hall a "fragrance free zone".

Also -- my grandparents were smokers and I used to love the way that grandma smelled - perfume and smoke. Now...not so much.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Sometimes I don't object to my own flatulence
    Avoid it, though, when it's a zero degree day with no wind. They can stick around a looong time.

Quote Originally posted by southsideamy
    In the good old days of elementary school, I used to love the smell of mimeographed paper
    Ahh dittoes! I forgot all about those. Used to get a big whiff every time the teacher passed out an assignment. Lessened the blow of getting more homework a bit I s'pose.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I really like the smell of tires. Walking by a tire store or going into the automotive section of a big box always brings a smile to my face for some reason...
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I enjoy the smell of diesel exhaust. It reminds me being in a large downtown area.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    My mother enjoyed diesel exhaust. For me, skunk is not bad in moderation. Washing skunk off the dog is not pleasurable!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Farm animal smells. Don't care for pigs but other than that, they just remind me of growing up in rural America in a positive way.

Like Maister, I'm not put off by skunk smell in moderation. In fact, the first whiff of skunk is pretty similar to that scent blast you get when you open a can of coffee the first time. The difference is that I continue to like the coffee smell.

Jet Fuel. Spent significant military and civilian time around flight lines. Nothing like the smell of JP-4 in the morning.

Machine oil. My dad was a machinist. I can't smell machine oil without thinking about him.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Asphalt .... It is a nice summer smell
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do we have a stinky smilie ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    How about burning leaves? The EPA was involved in many communities banning the burning of leaves. If I am in the non-incorporated areas cruising in my rugged Tundra and I see burning leaves ahead......down come the windows. Love that smell. Takes me back, it does.

Also.....can't believe that nobody posted this vid.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I enjoy the smell of diesel exhaust. It reminds me being in a large downtown area.
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    My mother enjoyed diesel exhaust. For me, skunk is not bad in moderation. Washing skunk off the dog is not pleasurable!
    I also enjoy the smell of diesel exhaust. Also enjoy jet fuel, cheap, stale coffee, like the smell on an airplane, and some books.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I like diesel exhaust smell when it is mixed with salt air. It reminds me of taking a launch out to my father's ship in San Diego Bay. JP-4 mixed with steam and screaming jet engine sounds reminds me of being on the Kitty Hawk off of Haiphong. For the record, I don't like the smell of napalm in the morning.

I also like magic marker smell, in fact almost any petroluem-based solvent. Too bad they're all carcinogenic.

I can't stand the smell of lilies, particularly "stargazer" lilies. Won't be in the same room with them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yes, burning leaves, farm smells minus pigs and poultry, and Old Spice, which my dad wore.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    There are a handful of Joisey natives around here that are positively delightful to pick on.....but sadly I'm Michigan born 'n' bred. There is, however, a little oil in this state around the Mt. Pleasant area
    I only ask because much of these odors exist on a trip up the NJ Turnpike.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Permanent marker pens. Smells at the petrol (gas) station. hmmm
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I only ask because much of these odors exist on a trip up the NJ Turnpike.
    BUT NOT in the Pine Barrens or off season on the Jersey Shore.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    BUT NOT in the Pine Barrens or off season on the Jersey Shore.
    Notice I said "up" Exits 12 to 16 are the worst IMHO.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Mar 2007, 12:12 PM
  2. To paint or not to paint?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 1:21 PM
  3. Guess the Object #2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Jan 2007, 6:02 PM