Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Economic development/international planning and development schools

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Economic development/international planning and development schools

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding a planning education.

I was wondering what are some good graduate programs, other than Rutgers in my home state of New Jersey, that offer solid international planning and development or economic development programs? Also, which is a better specialization? I'm torn because I want to do something with an international focus and yet I am worried about job availability even if I get this degree.

Finally, I know a lot of people ask this but I want to be a realistic about my chances at any of these grad schools, because my credentials for grad school may be a bit iffy.

I am a 3rd-year student at a top public school, with a GPA of 3.26, usually fluctuating in the 3.2-3.3 range. I will take the GREs sometime this year, and I'm projecting something in the 1100-1300 range, we'll say 1100 to be conservative. I am an economics major and a statistics minor. The only relevant experience that I will have is a potential internship at a county economic development office this summer, which looks very close to a lock at this point.

Given this information, it would be great to know where I stand and what I should be aiming for, and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    don't quote me but i think Michigan State has a International Planning degree, and a Community Regional Planning Degree

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I went to the Univ. of North Carolina in Chapel Hill for my master's in planning, with an economic development specialization. I'm pretty sure they still have an international planning program as well... but since I was there more than 20 years ago, you should probably check out the website to be sure!

http://www.planning.unc.edu/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    University of Southern California, Cornell, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign all have good reps for ED and ID

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 22 Jan 2011, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Dec 2010, 11:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jul 2005, 2:58 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Sep 2004, 4:14 PM