Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good examples of big box or power center sites

Good examples of big box or power center sites

I'm working on some retail large retail design standards and am putting together a booklet of precedents. What I've found online and here seems to be either too large of a scale (lifestyle centers) or too focused on the building (typically walmart) architecture. While design principles can be drawn from these, it will be easier to explain to the public with appopriately scaled examples. Can anyone point me to some well done mid-sized centers (or threads I missed).

Thanks

Registered
    Nov 2009
    It seems like the whole point of a power center is to be out of scale...the "ideal" power center is so big that you have to drive from one end of the parking lot to the other.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hope you have checked out the gallery here for some images. What part of Wisconsin are you in? There are good examples I can think of in Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Elm Grove, Madison, Sun Prairie, and elsewhere.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is basically a re-post from a few weeks ago. We didn't do enough homework I guess.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Not to steal your thread, but I am trying to find examples of "Big Boxes" fitting into less big box environments. An example would be a more urban setting like a lifestyle center or downtown. I am specifically looking at a Department store that wants to build a stand alone building. I am trying to prove that you can have an 80k building and it can stand alone and yet feel in scale.

Does that make sense?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Jon Jerde's West Hollywood Gateway in California is exceptionally well-designed.

A Target is stacked atop a Best Buy and a BevMo! with two levels of parking underneath. Express elevators go to individual outlets. And, the entire complex relates very well to the streets.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Big Box™ retail area around WI 441/Calumet St here in Appleton seems to be fairly well proportioned for the area that it serves.

Also, are that Home Depot and the other nearby smaller Big Box™ stores in the area of Halsted and Schubert/Wrightwood in Chicago (a very dense urban neighborhood) still there?

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The Big Box™ retail area around WI 441/Calumet St here in Appleton seems to be fairly well proportioned for the area that it serves.

Also, are that Home Depot and the other nearby smaller Big Box™ stores in the area of Halsted and Schubert/Wrightwood in Chicago (a very dense urban neighborhood) still there?

Mike
    Right downtown in Salt Lake several years ago there was a wonderful 3-floor, stand-alone building, beautifully articulated on a corner; Old Navy had two floors and the other was offices and a coffee shop or something....OK, yes it closed, but the point is it can be DONE...maybe not sustained..but DONE.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    It should be noted that Target had to be convinced to put this store on the upper level, and, now, this location is, by far, the most successful in the entire system with roughly double the sales-per-square-foot of the average Target store.

@ Hink
    You may want to check out The Rise in Vancouver BC and Midtown Miami. Also
    Belmar outside Denver or Gateway in SLC. Both have two-story big boxes (Dick's Sports) in an urban setting. Edgewood Retail District in Atlanta may also be of use but its more of a neighborhood area.

@ Cardinal
    Permanent home is Milwaukee, current temporary home is Portland OR. Long story.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Not to steal your thread, but I am trying to find examples of "Big Boxes" fitting into less big box environments.
    Check out these two:

http://www.metmidtown.com/ in Charlotte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Center in Boston

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown25 View post
    @ Cardinal
    Permanent home is Milwaukee, current temporary home is Portland OR. Long story.
    Trading Milwaukee for Portland is not a bad thing. I do have several photos in my collection that I can share if you want to give me an email address.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Also try Blue Back Square in West Hartford, CT.

http://www.bluebacksquare.com/gallery/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Not to steal your thread, but I am trying to find examples of "Big Boxes" fitting into less big box environments. An example would be a more urban setting like a lifestyle center or downtown. I am specifically looking at a Department store that wants to build a stand alone building. I am trying to prove that you can have an 80k building and it can stand alone and yet feel in scale.

Does that make sense?
    Vancouver has some great examples of placing large scale big-box stores in highly dense urban settings. It might not be stand-alone units, but they are still excellent case studies of downtown settings. My favorite example is Costco, which was built as a podium for condo towers. Across the street from the Costco is GM Place, home to the Vancouver Canucks. Parking is completely underground, aside from a bit of street parking as you can see from the image below.

It's the first large scale big box store to be embedded into a residential tower complex, from what I know of. 127,000-square-foot store, four residential towers above, several levels of underground parking, sports and entertainment across the street.

This example is along the Cambie corridor, just outside downtown Vancouver and minutes from the Olympic Village. Stand-alone Canadian Tire with parking on the roof. The store is spread over three levels if I remember correctly. Across the street is a Home Depot and Save-On-Foods with three stories of residential condos above.

Check out Belmar in Lakewood, Colorado

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 May 2012, 6:09 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Feb 2008, 1:49 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Dec 2006, 1:19 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Sep 2005, 10:31 AM
  5. Replies: 4