Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: What is your employment status

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Employed in planning or an allied/related profession

61 64.89%
  • Employed in another sector

1 1.06%
  • Underemployed in planning or an allied/related profession (incl. furloughs)

6 6.38%
  • Underemployed in another sector (incl. furloughs)

2 2.13%
  • Unemployed due to layoffs, etc.

10 10.64%
  • Unemployed by choice (i.e. parent at home, resigned prior job rather than layoff, etc.)

1 1.06%
  • Student

8 8.51%
  • my employment situation is so complicated that I feel compelled to share more below

5 5.32%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your employment status

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Your employment status

AIB Dan's thread asking for guesses about the planner unemployment rate...

I figure Cyburbia is at least fairly representative of the overall state of the profession. So why not do our own employment poll?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK.... so where is the poll?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    OK.... so where is the poll?
    It's there now.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Since the start of the fiscal year, I've been in the Real Estate/Property Management division. This division is still in the same department - Development Services - but it's a new animal to me. So I'm in a related field, but I'm not happy.

I'd rather be planning!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    So I'm in a related field, but I'm not happy.

I'd rather be planning!
    I'm in a similar situation except doing public outreach work.
    yay.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Employed in planning...but got notice Tuesday that funds run out April 23.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Was gainfully employed in early 2008. Then got laid off. Then got a new job in late 2008 that paid 58% of the previous job. Then got a positon bump in 2009, so now I am paid 79% of previous job. At least I'm still planning and I have benefits.

Registered
    May 2005
    I chose the last option. I work for an arts organization that engages in community development activities which I am in charge of. My title is "community planner" but the boundaries of my job are very fluid. Its certainly not experience that is likely to get me a job at a municipality, though it definitely draws on my MCRP training.

Stuff I do:
    Established and manage a community garden in Metropolitan Redevelopment Area
    Chair a Housing committee for that same MRA
    Chair the planning of an annual community pride parade each fall
    Coordinate two workshop series' on gardening and sustainability
    Oversee sustainability issues on our campus (we are owned by an elementary school)

And a host of other activities not so related to planning.

A lot of this territory was charted by me when I began in this position and so I have been involved in crafting this work to a large degree. I think this is maybe not such an unusual situation for people struggling in a challenging economy. I happen to be piecing this work together for a single employer, but I know plenty of folks who do similar things as a freelancer or contracted worker. I suspect this will continue to be the case for many ad its one of the reasons I think healthcare reform will be so important - more and more people will be forced to assemble work piecemeal on their own and without the support of a single employer, health insurance will be an amenity most cannot afford (and if there is a pre-existing condition, never qualify for). I know many people who have also stayed at a crappy job simply to retain health benefits.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Planning at present.

Rumors of furloughs coming up. Very dark outlook for FY2011 for local governments in the Hoosier state. Checking the status of my 'emergency cash reserves'.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    There's no option in the poll for self-employed... although if I don't line up some additional projects for the rest of the year, I may have to change my status.

I think technically I'm not even in the labor force.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    underemployed. Furloughed a min. of 1 day a week. Technically my status is "on-call". I have been furloughed for a year now. "on-call" status for about 6 months now. Last week worked a whopping 16 hours . This week is the full 32. Go figure. Still have me bennies (for now).
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I chose "employed in planning or related field" - however I was torn between this choice and the "underemployed" choice.

Technically I am employed in planning, it just isn't the type of planning I would like to be doing. I cannot find employment in the field I prefer, so I am working under my current discipline.

Leave it to a planner with a geography background to feel the need to clarify this. HAHAHAHA

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Full-time employment in planning and over my head?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Full-time employed in planning or related profession for me. I've been in the same position for about three years.

Somehow, I make less money now than when I first started here. But I'll take small pay cuts over layoffs anytime!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Full-time planning for now - it looks like we'll loose 2 more positions in the upcoming budget (bldg insp and zoning admin). The 3 planning jobs look "safe" right now, but ya just don't know. We may go furlough again for the last 4 months of the FY too. The scariest part is the results of the primary election in May and the general election in November. The BOC could change in a negative way or just hold on. 7 (right now) running for 2 seats.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm currently in a full-time planning position. However, my city keeps firing my bosses or forcing them to resign/retire. I've been at the position almost 3 years, and I've had three different bosses leave - 2 managers and a director (although the director left on his own accord).

I have been told repeatedly that my position is not in jeopardy, and that, should we desire it, my associate planner and I can take the reigns of the department and they will eventually build the department around us. We both started out entry level, and I'm somewhat concerned that my professional development will suffer due to lack of a mentor. I'm afraid they're trying to groom us to be "yes men", since we have limited experience and/or little clout. I'm currently looking at a mild shift in career (involving law school) to get out of the yoke of public sector politics.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I Xed the box for "unemployed by choice" since I had no intention of traipsing back across the state to work as a clerk in the acquiring company's hierarchy.

And what I was doing was not really planning. It was a real treat to go present at the occasional zoning hearing. Seriously.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I'm currently in a full-time planning position. However, my city keeps firing my bosses or forcing them to resign/retire. I've been at the position almost 3 years, and I've had three different bosses leave - 2 managers and a director (although the director left on his own accord).

I have been told repeatedly that my position is not in jeopardy, and that, should we desire it, my associate planner and I can take the reigns of the department and they will eventually build the department around us. We both started out entry level, and I'm somewhat concerned that my professional development will suffer due to lack of a mentor. I'm afraid they're trying to groom us to be "yes men", since we have limited experience and/or little clout. I'm currently looking at a mild shift in career (involving law school) to get out of the yoke of public sector politics.
    It is amazing how much my former employer was like what you described. And it is all-the-more ironic because your former boss is now in my old position. I left in large part because I knew that the city manager and I would reach a crossroads in the not-so-distant future, and I had another employment opportunity arise that would allow me to jump without any bridge-burning.

Fully employed until April/May, but then our company is closing (not due to the economic crisis, however).

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post

I have heard stories of this in all sectors of corporate culture - it's exploitative, really - get rid of the higher salaries to save money (and if they are 50 yo, they face possible age discrimination in the current tight market) and push the young-in's into slavery by doing everything for nothing - scary stuff

I have a friend in high finance who got laid off last fall (in a similar situation as above with some sexual discrimination thrown in) and her resume coach said to take the dates off her education (she's only 44) and not highlight that she has over 20 years experience in the field because that reads dollar signs (as in we have to pay her) to a prospective employee

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Fully employed since early December 2009 at a competitive salary. Plenty of work here but I never reveal specifics
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Gainfully employed in 2008, laid off in March of 2009. Gaifully employed again in May of 2009 with a job paying slightly less than my previous one. I'm still employed today and very grateful!!!

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Still unemployed. This is the longest I have been unemployed.
    Doing a lot of volunteer work in the community
    Making sure I maintain a regular schedule.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Unemployed...but hopeful for the time being.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Fully employed at a competitive salary (knock on wood)...but it's a little strange. I've been with my current firm for a couple of years now, and it always sems like my workload is secure for the next three or four months, but everything is iffy after that point. That's the way it was two years ago, last summer, last fall, and right now. Part of the issue is that most of my work flows through other offices than the one I'm attached to (the work's always there, but it seem like I have to constantly fight to stay involved) - it's possible that I could resolve that by transferring, but that's a whole 'nother issue in and if itself...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jun 2009, 2:23 PM
  2. Perry's status
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Nov 2004, 9:47 PM
  3. Tax Exempt Status of Universities
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2