Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Naming parks

Naming parks

Hi all,

I am looking at 4 parks in our city that are currently named Parkette 1, 2, 3 and 4. As exciting as those names are, I'm looking for ideas for naming these parks. I know there's the classic name it after a dead white pioneer, but I'm hoping for something a little more unique.

Any ideas? So far I've thought of sister cities, birds/wildlife...anything else?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Lost historic name of 1st city councilman from that neighborhood.
    Lost historic name for that neighborhood or off of the first plat.
    Stream that ran through the area before being piped and buried - if named.
    Forgotten developer who gave the land - best if dead see #2 above.
    After bird that was once numerous but killed off
    - local example passenger pigeon now pigeon creek greenway passage.

Lame Name - after the street the park is on.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The people that donated the land or money for construction.

More recent past mayor.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Famous Dead People from The Town or nearby

Famous Something Your Town is Know For

Activities in the Park (Bike Paths? Tot Lot? etc)

Heck, try Names of Department Heads Responsible for the Design, Counstruction, or Maintenance of Said Park

My town has a mulit-page process for determining the name of a new park, or the steps required to change the name of an existing park. Try to keep it simple.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Lost historic name of 1st city councilman from that neighborhood.
    Lost historic name for that neighborhood or off of the first plat.
    Stream that ran through the area before being piped and buried - if named.
    Forgotten developer who gave the land - best if dead see #2 above.
    After bird that was once numerous but killed off
    - local example passenger pigeon now pigeon creek greenway passage.

Lame Name - after the street the park is on.
    Couple of these seem to guarantee the park will be named after a dead white guy.

How about a community activist? Beloved teacher in the community? Somebody's grandmother?

yeah, most of those are going to lead to old or dead white people...this is a new subdivision on old farmland. 120 years ago it was untouched by whites. it's quite a new area.

we'll take this to the community for input, I'm just hoping for some suggestions other than 'old tommy jones used to live here' or similar.

keep em coming please!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Whatever you do; do NOT name it after a living person (unless they are over 85), and especially do not name it after a current politician in local or state office. Living people, especially politicians can only disappoint and possibly mar the name of the park or road or bridge.
    Case in point, the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge in Charleston, SC locally called the Ravenel Bridge which replaced the Cooper River Bridge in 2005. Though not directly something Arthur Ravenel did, his son, then state treasurer Thomas Ravenel was suspended and indicted for buying and distributing cocaine. The public shame that came to the Ravenel family hit their hometown of Charleston hard and there were even a few petitions to rename the bridge.
    Just an example but something that could legitimately happen with living honorees.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Old Farmland Park?
    You can thank me later.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Whatever you do; do NOT name it after a living person (unless they are over 85), and especially do not name it after a current politician in local or state office. Living people, especially politicians can only disappoint and possibly mar the name of the park or road or bridge.
    Case in point, the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge in Charleston, SC locally called the Ravenel Bridge which replaced the Cooper River Bridge in 2005. Though not directly something Arthur Ravenel did, his son, then state treasurer Thomas Ravenel was suspended and indicted for buying and distributing cocaine. The public shame that came to the Ravenel family hit their hometown of Charleston hard and there were even a few petitions to rename the bridge.
    Just an example but something that could legitimately happen with living honorees.
    no, it won't be anyone living...i know that's a touchy subject. even place names--i've been reading about a park in Seattle they were gonna name Perugia (or something similar) after their sister city in Italy. It was almost finalized when that american women killed some italians or something in Perugia and they squashed the whole thing. Silly stuff!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I would involve the public up front. Perhaps a contest in the school system for names. Parkette 1,2,3,4? You may have a problem.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    I like concept nouns, e.g. "Harmony Park", "Serenity Park", "Heritage Park", etc.

Personality and branding is really important, and a concept noun helps provide a strong idea for every part of the park to, then, convey.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 21 Feb 2010 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Seq. posts

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would have the neighbors suggest names and if they suggest dead people, don't worry about any superficial things like their skin colour.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2003
    branding is really important
    Sometimes I think its only a matter of time until corporations purchase the naming rights for parks, just as they do now for stadiums and ballparks.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 21 Feb 2010 at 3:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Adrift in a sea of beige

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 20 Dec 2012, 9:40 AM
  3. Naming the regulars
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Nov 2010, 8:52 AM