• I have a page for my Department and it's a pain in the @$$

0 0%
  • I don't have one but it's a good idea

4 17.39%
  • I don't have one and I am winicng with ya, LP

14 60.87%
  • Put down the LeRoy Lettering Set and get with the beat, ya dinosaur

1 4.35%
  • Heck, I even have a Departmental Tweeter account!

1 4.35%
  • What is this Facebook of which you speak of today?

0 0%
  • Whatever happened to legal ads?

1 4.35%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Facebook page for your planning department?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Twitter seems silly to me. Of course, I think I said that about Facebook nine months ago.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Ugh

Current planning confuses people when you are talking to them face-to-face. The chances of making people mad through a limited form of communication like FB is just asking for trouble. I say nay.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I'm not one for twitter, but we're banned from using Facebook at work. I find it amusing that our office signed up for the webinar for social networking, but yet we can't use it. Another thing, our county has a facebook page- I definitely won't be a fan.

Registered
    Aug 2009

facebook and twitter

My County has both Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Both sites are blocked internally by our web nannies. "That's not for YOU, that's for the public."

Registered
    Dec 2008
    How does it ever get updated?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our pubic information officer has created a Facebook account for our jurisdiction. I've peeked in and noticed three people in my department are members and a few members from other departments. Of the just over 300 members, one of the members is running for election to the board.

Needless to say, I'm not a member because somebody might track me back to Cyburbia!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Our pubic information officer ...
    Freudian typo??

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post

We tried the facebook approach for one of our transportation enhancement projects and we found 2 problems:

1) the fan page allowed access to my personal page (oh so bad). FB has since corrected this problem through security settings.

2) Know your audience. The town to which we did this in. Not so techno savy (we had only 1 person join our page)

My 2 cents.
    I'd agree that it's more useful to create a fan page for a project, rather than a department. When you look at how most people use facebook groups and fan pages, it's a way to express support. I think it's more likely folks will become a "fan" of the new zoning code than the planning department, no?

So I think there's value in having a fan page for your comprehensive plan or zoning code project, as another venue to do outreach, provide updates and rally supporters. As mentioned before, you can turn off user comments so there's no need to facilitate and there are programs now that allow you to post updates simultaneously on Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites, no extra work. And the key is to point your facebook page back to your city or project website where you offer ways to submit feedback - whether that's plain email/phone or some other public involvement activity.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    While it's not a planning department, here's an article I saw today regarding the problems a local community's DDA is having with their Facebook page:

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/...e126310580.txt
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    While it's not a planning department, here's an article I saw today regarding the problems a local community's DDA is having with their Facebook page:

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/...e126310580.txt
    Best.Comment.Ever.

" So I'm new to this Facebook stuff. How much does the DDA pay for the Facebook account? "

Registered
    Apr 2005

Twitter not facebook

Facebook I think is dying down. Sure it's a mechanism for social networking but I think the fad is wearing thin. Twitter I think would be a better idea for planning departments to use.

Speaking of twitter, someone had a post asking how they could use foursquare as a tool for urban transportation and community planning. Anyone out there use foursquare? I'm a newbie to it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Revisiting an old thread regarding social networking. My muni in partnership with a local grad student launched a facebook page today. It is working as a two fold experiment for the student and for my muni to push more towards an era of open government. Our parks and rec dept. already has 41 "fans" and I will be pushing heavy integration with twitter. We shall see.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    That's cool. I'd like to see that here, I'm pushing for them to allow me to blog for our dept. on our website at least.

On a related note, 41 fans for Parks and Rec....what about you? Do YOU have any friends yet? How does that make you feel?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    On a related note, 41 fans for Parks and Rec....what about you? Do YOU have any friends yet? How does that make you feel?
    No friends yet, but we are working with our chamber's page, our website, and parks and rec to get some. If you want to friend us, PM me and i can direct ya .
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We have one, but I don't look it. My group really likes social networking that we have an internal social network that we are "encouraged" to use. I don't have enough time to play with that stuff while I am at work.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think twitter is probably more useful than facebook, but that's not to say facebook doesn't have it's place.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    No facebook page here. But we do have a pretty innovative and interesting message system designed by a resident of a nearby community. Its called Front Porch Forum and it breaks communities into neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has their own FPF and they can share messages amongst themselves: seeking somebody to mow their lawn, offering to walk dogs, sharing roof rakes, letting people know about the mailman who just broke their ankle, etc. Those messages are shared only within the respective neighborhood of the poster. As a municipality, we support the system with a few thousand dollars per year, and we have the opportunity to reach all 13 neighborhoods in our city, to share agendas, public meeting notices, recreation brochures, etc. We try not to overload people with too much information or they'll just ignore them as spam. Its become very very efficient and at last check, more than half of the neighborhoods in our city use them. Nearby towns are also linked in with varying degrees of use.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne View post
    I think twitter is probably more useful than facebook, but that's not to say facebook doesn't have it's place.
    Agreed. We ended our Facebook page in favor of Twitter, which we still only use about once a month.

Of course, our internal system blocks Facebook which is an issue.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have a skate n la page for our skate plazas and parks ( I am in charge of the action sports section of Recreation and Parks city of los angeles)

Its been really positive experience for us and I use it as means to disseminate information regarding parks in construction and that are in design. I also use the site to post sick ass videos taken from our parks. We only have a 196 friends but it has not been up too long.

For a planning unit I really do not see the need for a facebook page.....
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    May 2005
    IT blocked FB at the new gig.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2007

Facebook Groups

I've created Facebook groups on specific projects we've been working on in the past. I had envisioned it as an alternative to 50 emails and massive attachments, however no one else really liked the idea. Most of the planners use Facebook for their personal lives and the mostly older/technology challenged communities I work with were confused with the idea of a group. We've also tried Skype, project specific websites, Facebook profile, Twiiter feeds, and MySpace (Back in the day! lol). These were all great ideas but non of them ever panned out into a good substitute for email exchanges or for effective public engagement tools. I'd say stick to the basic website with updated information on it.
    Transportation planning with **flair**

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 9:06 PM
  2. Planning department cooperation
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jul 2012, 9:53 AM
  3. Fragmented planning department
    Make No Small Plans