Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US Census jobs: anyone hear anything?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

US Census jobs: anyone hear anything?

A few weeks ago, I took the US Census exam. 28/28. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

For the others that applied for Census jobs, have you heard anything?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    A few weeks ago, I took the US Census exam. 28/28. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

yup, scored a 93% on the test, I got a follow up packet from the DOJ regarding their background check on me (in regards to my dismissed court case from college days). I have to send out my court info before 30 day for further consideration on the position. I called the local census regarding the letter and packet, they just gave me answer that says "well, at least you got the packet, that is a positive sign"
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can't speak specifically to this round, but in the 1990 Census I took the exam and then called a few days later. They offered me a position while I was on the phone. It seems that they were not particularly proactive in contacting people. I ended up working with the Census in the enumeration, and then as a researcher through the beginning of 1992, only leaving to take another job.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

I took the Census exam at the end of November. I scored 26/28. I indicated I could work any day at any time. I still haven't heard back from them and they haven't returned any of my phone calls. I think they're too busy with their new commercials.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Nope. I was told late February/early March and that they would contact me.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I just took the test last week and haven't heard anything yet. They said they would be hiring in the Spring and I don't think we're there yet.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would imagine that their response to applicants varies by office, Dan. Don't read too much into it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Took the exam, did well, but no response yet and I'm here in Boston, a big diverse city. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next few weeks

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If any of y'all hear anything, can you post it here? I'm a bit anxious; even though it's a temporary part-time job, the Census test was only opportunity for employment that has come my way in the past few months.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just got a notice today about how I should get the census form in the mail next week. I'm thinking they're a bit behind.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I just got a notice today about how I should get the census form in the mail next week. I'm thinking they're a bit behind.
    Got it yesterday. One of the local television newscasts is having a field day with it, creating some manufactured outrage of the "your wasted tax dollars" variety.

Registered
    Aug 2002

Off-topic

One of the local television newscasts is having a field day with it, creating some manufactured outrage of the "your wasted tax dollars" variety.
    Oh, that's great coming from a declining area that can use all the bodies and tax dollars it can get...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Got it yesterday. One of the local television newscasts is having a field day with it, creating some manufactured outrage of the "your wasted tax dollars" variety.
    We received it Monday as well. My reaction was, "Oh look... junk mail to tell us to look for junk mail." My fear of the easiest shortest census form is that it WILL look like junk mail.

In 2000 I got the long form and actually had fun with it. I was white in a 90% african american census tract, and our household income was easily WAY over the median. No kids in our household scewed it too, I'm sure.

Registered
    Aug 2007

Then you may not like this story I found from your area Dan. Census Has Trouble Filling Job Slots I have heard a similar story here in Central IL, in an area that has over 10% unemployment. Not really sure what is going on with all of this.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Then you may not like this story I found from your area Dan. Census Has Trouble Filling Job Slots I have heard a similar story here in Central IL, in an area that has over 10% unemployment. Not really sure what is going on with all of this.
    Some of the comments are spot-on. A census job is, by definition, very short term.
    And this media outlet needs better software. Nothing needs censoring in the words passed or massive.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Shortage of Census workers ... everywhere but Amherst, New York, where, according to the folks recruiting for the Census, so many people got perfect 28/28 scores, they had their pick from long, long lists of prospective workers. I was supposedly on two earlier lists for interviewees, but my name was near the bottom. The choose who to call from those lists randomly, and I wasn't called.

So, despite a 28/28 on the exam myself, available all hours, office or field work, it looks I'm not going to be working for the Census Bureau. FML.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I enjoy filling out surveys and stuff like this so I'm kind of disappointed I won't be getting a long-form. How do they determine who gets the long-form?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Shortage of Census workers ... everywhere but Amherst, New York, where, according to the folks recruiting for the Census, so many people got perfect 28/28 scores, they had their pick from long, long lists of prospective workers. I was supposedly on two earlier lists for interviewees, but my name was near the bottom. The choose who to call from those lists randomly, and I wasn't called.

So, despite a 28/28 on the exam myself, available all hours, office or field work, it looks I'm not going to be working for the Census Bureau. FML.
    Time to call your congress reps, you may be surprised what can happen from a phone call or two. Give it s shot before you shoot this down.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2010

Yes

I got called on Sunday March 14th and offered an Enumerator position. I will begin training on April 27th.

Why Census for you people, since the Census is more demography than planning?

For those of you who have worked in the Census:

1) What positions have worked in?

2) How did you like it, or what can you say about your experience?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by surfer1280 View post
    Why Census for you people, since the Census is more demography than planning?
    #1 - demography is an important part of planning, particularly in community development and long-range planning (less so in current/physical planning). I've spent 80% of my planning career working in demography to at least some significant extent. While in most cases these are basic enumeration positions, demographic trend analysis, surveying and citizen participation are all major elements in plan making.

#2 - Many folks on here are looking at the Census due to unemployment. They need to eat, and getting Federal experience at the Census Bureau can help in landing other Federal positions. In some cases, folks on here are looking for a shorter-term gig that can help hold them over until the economic environment improves.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I recently received an email from the Department of Commerce telling me that I was "qualified" for a permanent full-time position that I applied for with them and the Census Bureau... about 8 months ago. This is actually the most promising sign I've ever gotten from any of the Federal positions I've applied for.

But, I'll keep my fingers crossed since the job I am currently in is one that I applied for nearly a year before getting an interview. And as prior military, I'd love full-time Federal employment since I'd already have a few years in towards my retirement.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I just finished the census form (no I am not looking for seasonal census work). Do we still have the short and long forms? I just feel like there wasn't much asked of me. Mostly it was gender, address, whether I rent/own, if I have kids, and my ethnicity. I always thought there was more, but then again I was 19 when I last filled one out.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I just finished the census form (no I am not looking for seasonal census work). Do we still have the short and long forms? I just feel like there wasn't much asked of me. Mostly it was gender, address, whether I rent/own, if I have kids, and my ethnicity. I always thought there was more, but then again I was 19 when I last filled one out.
    You had the short form. I don't know anyone who got the long form - anyone here? Our short form took mere minutes to fill in. With no kids, there's just not a lot to write in.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nope.....

There is no long form any more for the decennial census.

It was replaced by the American Community Survey which is an ongoing survey:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2013, 10:52 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2009, 11:30 PM
  3. Can I hear a Halleluiah?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5