Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Internships in Boston area

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Internships in Boston area

It is now the time of the year that every first year planning student in the area is trying to line up an internship for the summer and I don't know where to look. If anyone can give me tips on what places are the best to look for internships, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Information: 1st year student at Tufts UEP
    Primary Interests: Land Use Planning, Transportation Planning, Regional Planning, anything that has to work with data and statistics
    Preferences: Paid internships

By the way, I asked about the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) already and they are so broke this year, all of their internships (if any) will be unpaid so scratch them out of the equation.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A planning internship in Londonderry, New Hampshire could be a possibility if you're willing to travel.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40278
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2006
    If you're into GIS, there are some opportunities at CTPS and McKinsey among others

https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluen...S+Job+Postings

MAPC, BRA, IBI, CDM... tons of public and private sector opportunities...
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

Registered
    Mar 2010

Internship

My name is Hamideh Etemadnia and I am interested to apply for the summer internship at this position. I am a graduate student at the Transportation Research Lab (TRL) at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, where I am also given the responsibility of managing a part of an Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) project. I have been involved in many project using GIS software.

Best regards,
    Hamideh

Registered
    Mar 2010
    I know that Nelson/Nygaard in Boston is looking for one to two full-time transportation interns this summer. They are a very well-thought-of planning firm with offices around the country. I have a friend who goes to Penn; she interned there last year and was offered a job with them starting this summer after she graduates from her program. Encouraging to say the least.

check it out:
    http://www.nelsonnygaard.com/Content/Careers-Boston.htm

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Sasaki has a paid internship program, which I'm assuming is uber competitive

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Thank you. But I think the due for submitting the resume was March 10.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Did you look into the BRA Urban Mechanics Program (BUMP)? In past years it's been a separate program from regular BRA internships, and pays an ok stipend of $4000 over 8 weeks.

Most of the formalized internship programs at multi-disciplinary design firms have stopped taking applications by this point. Nelson/Nygaard was definitely looking for interns but I'm not sure they've found people already.

Another thing you might keep your eyes open for are non-profit internship, which tend to come up more sporadically. It wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    This year, due to the economy, all BRA internships are unpaid. That's right, 6-8 weeks of free labor and all for the experience only.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Slideruler View post
    This year, due to the economy, all BRA internships are unpaid. That's right, 6-8 weeks of free labor and all for the experience only.
    I agree. Experience is overrated.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Boston-area internships
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 9:02 AM
  2. Buffalo area internships
    Student Lounge