Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is planning right for me? 2nd year undergrad

Is planning right for me? 2nd year undergrad

I am currently taking urban planning in my second year, and I am mostly interested in the physical and financial aspect of planning developments, drawing them out, marketing them, selling them, and profiting from them. My specific interests are in suburban developments and making attractive communities for people to buy. In high school, I would draw out communities on paper. That is what drew me to planning, but I have always wrestled between it and business.

I have found my schooling to be more on revitalizing old areas, the social issues of planning, and focusing on how bad suburbia is to the environment/social classes etc. All in all, its been a very marxist brainwashing Ive found.

In a career, I want to be able to work the long hours, have vast opportunities at advancement, moving up the ladder, drawing and designing my own projects, and being able to take on a managerial role. I dont have an interest in how to plan for seniors in a city or broad overarching social themes.

Is there plenty of jobs in the private sector in city planning that I could take or should I go in a different direction?

I am thinking of finishing my urban studies degree and getting a masters degree in management to have a practical business sense, but dont know if I should do that or city planning for a masters.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Registered
    May 2005
    You don't want to be a planner. You want to be a developer. Go into real estate development.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Or an architect or similar private sector consultant to developers. Public sector planners have to worry about more than the specific project most of the time.

I want to go into Real Estate development, but am not sure how to in Canada. It's not like the United States where there is a degree program for that. What path should I take and do you think my undergraduate work in urban studies will be of help for transitioning into that with a masters degree?

Get a degree in business, they might have a minor in real estate development.

Hate to bump this, but anyone go into the real estate development field in Canada that could shed some knowledge? and to everyone else, does that sound like the right path

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Can't speak to the experience in Canada directly, but it shouldn't be that much different than real estate development here in the US. Look into getting an undergraduate degree in Commerce and take some classes in real estate finance and investment. Also, make sure to take some classes in urban economics and economic geography if you haven't already. Start looking into who is developing property in the area you live and give them a call to try to set up an informational interview and ask about internships (even if they are unpaid).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Undergrad planning minor?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Dec 2009, 12:14 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Nov 2009, 8:15 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 2:37 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 May 2008, 12:12 AM