Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rutgers open house for admitted students April 1

Registered
    Jan 2010

Rutgers open house for admitted students April 1

I'm looking for others who are going to Rutgers' Open House for admitted students on April 1st. First of all: Congratulations to us!! It'll be fun to meet all of you like-minded folks.

I'm really posting (my first ever, btw) to find out where you all plan to stay? It would be fun to stay a with current grad student, but if that doesn't happen would anyone want to split a hotel room? Is it weird to share a room with stranger? I don't know, but we won't be strangers for very long, so I think it's probably ok.

The reality of tuition is sinking in, and this would make my checking account happy.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I'm also making arrangements to be there. I asked about staying with a student, but haven't heard anything. So, yes, splitting a room would be great, if that doesn't pan out!

Jonathan

Heading down as well, although I'm still a broke undergrad so I'll just be making a day trip out of it. Definitely looking forward to meeting you guys!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Rutgers

I plan on heading down there as well; sharing a room sounds like a good idea. Is anyone planning on attending Cornell's open house the next day as well? If so, it would be nice to coordinate transit together- maybe rent a car? I'm not too familiar with the east coast, does anyone have any suggestions for to getting to Ithaca from New Brunswick in under 12 hours?

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Hey all,

I'll be there. I'll arrive on the 30th due to United mileage availability. I haven't decided where I'll stay, maybe with friends in NYC but who knows. I don't think it's weird to share a room with strangers with a common interest, so please keep me in the loop

@spremenitisvet - I was planned on traveling to Ithaca from New Brunswick to attend their open house as well but they made it easy for me and rejected my application. I looked into Amtrak and flights but none were schedule friendly. I think the best way to arrive on time would be to rent a car and make the late day journey. It'd take about 4.5 - 5 hours (not considering traffic). Good luck.

Congrats to you all!

Quote Originally posted by SpremenitiSvet View post
    I plan on heading down there as well; sharing a room sounds like a good idea. Is anyone planning on attending Cornell's open house the next day as well? If so, it would be nice to coordinate transit together- maybe rent a car? I'm not too familiar with the east coast, does anyone have any suggestions for to getting to Ithaca from New Brunswick in under 12 hours?
    @SpremenitiSvet
    I am considering doing this. I am on the waiting list for Cornell. Not a 100% sure yet though. Cornell is about 4-5 hours from New Brunswick. And I would probably be taking my own car.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm also going to the open house, so I'll see all you guys there! Luckily I'm coming from nyc, so i just have to figure out NJ transit

Quote Originally posted by crimeasart View post
    I'm also going to the open house, so I'll see all you guys there! Luckily I'm coming from nyc, so i just have to figure out NJ transit
    Northeast Corridor Line.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Heldrich

Hi all,

I'm staying at the Heldrich 3/31 and 4/1.

Also just fyi, I booked the room online and the prepaid rate was about $20 cheaper than the rate listed on the accommodations list provided us.

-Margaret

p.s. it looks like Keefa started a similar thread: "Rutgers: Bloustein School Open House 2010" ...though nobody's posted on it yet.

I will be there. Waiting to hear back about staying with a current student; if that doesn't work out I may just stay at a hostel in New York.
    -Jonathan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hi, everyone. I'm a current first-year MCRP student at Bloustein. I hope to see you all at the open house. My roommate and I offered to put someone up, so I know there's at least one space for someone, although I haven't otherwise heard anything about planning for the open house. If anyone has any questions, fell free to ask in this thread and I'll do my best to answer.

On transportation: New Brunswick is very easy to get to. It's about 45 min to an hour from New York on the NJTransit Northeast Corridor line, and about two hours from Philadelphia (requires a change in Trenton between NJT and SEPTA). Last year I came to the open house as a day trip from Philadelphia, so I know that's totally doable. I went to Cornell for undergrad, so I can also say that Ithaca, in contrast, is very isolated and difficult to get to by east coast standards. If you want to do both our open house and the Cornell one, renting a car (or using your own) is the only reasonable option. It is a reasonable option, though.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Hey All,

My name is Keefa, and I am a current (and soon to be graduating) student at Bloustein and I am also the one most have you have been corresponding with via email.

To answer the question about staying with a current student, I have not yet finished compiling all of the RSVPs because the deadline to RSVP is next week. Once that is over, I will begin matching admitted students with current students for the overnight stay, but I can't do that until next Friday when registration closes. If you indicated that you were interested in staying with a current student, then you'll get more information through email on or around the 26th. If you have already RSVP'd and said that you would be interested in staying with a student, then you would most likely receive a spot.

I'm glad to see you are all using the cyburbia forum! Continue to discuss and ask questions!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all at open house!

Best,

Keefa

Registered
    Mar 2010

hotel?

Hey everyone! I was just informed I cannot stay with a grad. student for the open house event. Would anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room? I live in the D.C./Baltimore area, and the thought of waking up somewhere around 5 a.m. makes me cringe. The closest hotel to the school (Heldrich) is $129 a night according to their website- excluding service charges. Anyone interested? My email is stemplin3@gmail.com. Let me know.
    - Scott

Registered
    Mar 2010

Need a place to stay?

Hey everyone! I was just informed I cannot stay with a grad. student for the open house event. Would anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room? I live in the D.C./Baltimore area, and the thought of waking up somewhere around 5 a.m. makes me cringe. The closest hotel to the school (Heldrich) is $129 a night according to their website- excluding service charges. Anyone interested? My email is stemplin3@gmail.com. Let me know.
    - Scott

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    wow that's a lot! The Hyatt is within walking distance of Bloustein too, though I'm not sure the rates will be much better. If you have your own transportation there's a few options on Rt 1 (North Brunswick down to the Princeton area) and on 287/202 (Bridgewater/Raritan) that will put you under 30 minutes away and might get you a better rate.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by stemplin3 View post
    - Scott
    Are you driving up or taking the train? If you are driving there are a few more options that are near but not within walking distance of the school.

The Howard Johnson is at the junction of US 1 and Rt. 18 and goes for about $65 a night. It's basic and utilitarian. It's about a 7 minute drive to Bloustein and if you take a taxi it's about $10. LINK

There is also a Days Inn Hotel on Rt. 18 about 10 minutes from Bloustein that is $90 a night. LINK. Also very near this is a Holiday Inn Express that is $86 per night LINK.

Hope this helps! I'd love to put all of you up but I have a small apartment and am already hosting someone.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting everybody!

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Are you driving up or taking the train? If you are driving there are a few more options that are near but not within walking distance of the school.

The Howard Johnson is at the junction of US 1 and Rt. 18 and goes for about $65 a night. It's basic and utilitarian. It's about a 7 minute drive to Bloustein and if you take a taxi it's about $10. LINK

There is also a Days Inn Hotel on Rt. 18 about 10 minutes from Bloustein that is $90 a night. LINK. Also very near this is a Holiday Inn Express that is $86 per night LINK.

Hope this helps! I'd love to put all of you up but I have a small apartment and am already hosting someone.
    I did a bit of research and found a Motel 6 for $50 in East Brunswick, if that's anybody's preference. I myself will be rolling out of the Albany area at 5:30am and spending the night with family on Long Island.

Somebody make sure there's coffee left for me at the continental breakfast, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need it.

Tomorrow!

Hey Guys I know I'm late to the party but I just wanted to say I'm pumped to meet all of you tomorrow. Has anyone confirmed if they are going for sure yet?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Oct 2013, 10:35 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 03 May 2013, 5:12 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 04 May 2012, 9:59 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 6:13 PM