Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning grad students and former MUPs: hang out with mostly planning students?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Planning grad students and former MUPs: hang out with mostly planning students?

When I was in grad school (1994 through 1996, now get off my lawn!), the experience struck me as being radically different from the four-plus years of undergraduate classes in many ways. The amount and advanced level of schoolwork and research, the day-to-day interaction with professors and staff, and the isolation from those who were in other degree programs. I saw the same people day in, day out, from day one until I left with my MUP.

At the University at Buffalo School of Architecture and Planning, I was in awkward spot compared to my fellow students; I was in my late 20s/early 30s, while most of my planning classmates were either very young students fresh out of their undergraduate programs, or much older adults in their late 40s and up returning to school. For some reason, most of my close friends in school were architecture students. There wasn't much crossover in the classroom, and the architecture and planning programs are in different buildings; planning in Hayes Hall, architecture mostly in Crosby. Still, I just seemed to click better with the architecture students. A reflection of my creative side?

So, what about your experiences?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Slightly related I suppose, but there was a division of labor in my Master of Public Administration program. Muncipal employees (or students that wanted to be) had a tendency to hang out with one another. State employees (or students that wanted to be) did the same. I can't speak for the state folks, but the municipal students hung out all of the time and were known for pre-class happy hours.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2012, 7:24 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 Jan 2011, 12:39 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 3:29 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 11:17 AM
  5. New Planning Students Unite!
    Introduce Yourself