Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: USC vs UCLA planning program

Registered
    Jan 2010

USC vs UCLA planning program

I'm particularly interested in the networks/relationships created, how much the school is willing to help you, the classes (I'm interested in the urban design aspect of planning), and work load.

Any thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    i am in the same position.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I have the same questions, so I would be very happy to hear some perspective from current students.

I found this http://www.spa.ucla.edu/webfiles/sli...currentphoto=1 on the UCLA website - it provides a good visual overview of thesis/project topics from students who graduated in 2009.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    I graduated from UCLA's program a couple of years ago and found it to be a very well- rounded program.

I was accepted to USC's program as well and definitely considered going there, but felt it was not as well-rounded as UCLA. It seemed a bit more policy oriented and did not seem to provide the array of classes that UCLA provided. While at UCLA, I studied real estate and economic development with a bit of urban design thrown in. I thought UCLA was very well suited for my interests.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by drjb View post
    I graduated from UCLA's program a couple of years ago and found it to be a very well- rounded program.

I was accepted to USC's program as well and definitely considered going there, but felt it was not as well-rounded as UCLA. It seemed a bit more policy oriented and did not seem to provide the array of classes that UCLA provided. While at UCLA, I studied real estate and economic development with a bit of urban design thrown in. I thought UCLA was very well suited for my interests.
    As a prospective student at UCLA with similar interests, I'm wondering if you wound't mind sharing what you do now, and what your employment prospects were immediately post-grad.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally posted by a.kid View post
    As a prospective student at UCLA with similar interests, I'm wondering if you wound't mind sharing what you do now, and what your employment prospects were immediately post-grad.
    I work for a real estate and economic development consulting firm. Our clients include local municipalities and large real estate development and acquisitions companies. I do a lot of analytical work that includes pro forma modeling and economic modeling.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally posted by a.kid View post
    Sorry, as for employment prospects, I landed this job a few months before graduating. I graduated two years ago.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 1:29 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 12:50 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 2:20 PM
  5. UCLA Planning
    Student Commons