Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Training your planning commissioners

Registered
    Mar 2005

Training your planning commissioners

What do you do to train your commissioners? I brought in a speaker last year and usually send a couple to a state conference. Budget was cut this year and I could only send one to the state conference. I subscribed them all to the APA Commissioner periodical. Apparently this is not enough! They want more. I am looking at three webinars provided by APA for commissioners over the next couple of months.

I want to come up with some additional options maybe something different. Any ideas? Any innovative training going on out there or models I can draw from? I suppose I could arrange and economic development bus tour or something. Jeez, my people are demanding. Thanks for your help!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    At meetings when P&Z has a light agenda, we usually schedule a training workshop towards the end of the meeting about various topics, prepared and presented by staff (usually different topics are assigned to specific people who either have the most experience or whose job entails the topic at hand). Past topics have included the nature of zoning changes (both administration and legality), subdivision review procedures, the subdivision process from start to finish, and sign regulation. In the future we plan on doing some workshops covering comprehensive and neighborhood plans, annexations, and smart growth. These workshops usually take anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on how involved/interested the commissioners are on the topic being discussed. It's inexpensive, rather quick to prepare, and has produced some good results and feedback from our commissioners.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    NY State requires that all Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals members get at least 4 hours of training per year. Failure to meet this requirement renders them ineligible for reappointment.

The County and State offer training sessions a few times a year. Our Commissioners would prefer if they could do all their training through webinars. Fine by me!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Oct 2010, 6:59 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Oct 2009, 3:23 PM
  3. Lobbying planning commissioners
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Apr 2006, 9:21 AM
  4. Paid planning commissioners?
    Make No Small Plans