Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The rising cost of University of California

Registered
    Feb 2010

The rising cost of University of California

For those of you considering UCLA, UCI, Berkeley, etc...are you considered at all about the potential fee increases at the UCs?

Fees went up mid year in 2009 and are likely to go up and up until California comes out of the recession. Fees for UCLA will be either 12k or 17k next year (a pretty big difference) based on a new Professional Fee that was approved by the UC regents in November. http://www.publicaffairs.ucla.edu/co...ition-and-fees The regents are meeting next week to discuss the current limitation on fees to be comparable to other public universities. They want to remove the "public" from the language, meaning UC professional programs could begin charging as much as comparable private universities. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-1...public-schools

I am waiting to see the decision and understand the implications of this meeting before making my final decision to go to UCLA. Until UCLA raises fees as high as private schools, it's still the least expensive choice in my situation, but I wouldn't want that to happen.

Is anyone else thinking about this or have any thoughts to add?

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Katie- I've been thinking a lot about this lately as well. Somehow I was aware of the tuition hike to $12k, but did not realize $17k was also a possibility until recently. Do you know when the final decision will be made? This will make a big difference. The only non-UC school I applied to is Cal Poly and I've been leaning towards UCLA (partly because Cal Poly decisions will likely not be made until after the April 15th deadline), but with UC at $17k/yr, Cal Poly starts to look more attractive.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    This is actually a trend at many leading public universities. UMich has charged a pretty high tuition for in-state students for years (somewhere in the lower to mid-twenties). My alma-mater, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is the top public school in the state, and tuition is going up 20% for the next incoming class (everyone already attending is grandfathered). It has alot to do with the lack of funding from the state governments. In Illinois, funding is non-existent and the state itself is teetering on bankruptcy. As a result, the alumni associations constantly peg us alumni for more contributions. In some ways, these schools ARE private institutions now.

Even if you are paying less as an in-state student, who knows what the heck the state of California will do next in terms of cutbacks. I would bite my tongue and look for schools outside the state. I SERIOUSLY think there will be a catastrophic earthquake on the west coast within the next 3-5 years, if not sooner, and other states will need to foot the bill, inlcuding their higher education, after California's "recovery". Again, I would at least consider other schools in other states.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, I am definitely concerned about the cost increases. Does anyone know when UCLA will finalize the fees? $17,000 seems like a LOT. UC Berkeley is set at $9400 for 2010-2011, which could go up for the following year. Not to mention, the cost of living in California is so high.... UCLA and Berkeley both estimate annual living expenses around $23,000, whereas at Michigan, it's something like $15,000.

Right now, I'm torn between paying the price and cost of living to go to the best program, or paying WAY less for a program that isn't ranked so high....

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I am definitely concerned about the cost increases. Does anyone know when UCLA will finalize the fees? $17,000 seems like a LOT. UC Berkeley is set at $9400 for 2010-2011, which could go up for the following year
    unfortunately, mark yudof is evil! so even if the fees are "finalized" there can be a fee hike mid school year.

he's done it the past 2 school years, he'll probably do it again. take the finalized fees with a grain of salt....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    lulz @ earthquake worries

This simply has the effect of reducing subsidization of the UC system education. Students are being hit from both sides: 1) Increased costs of higher education (which has its own reasons), and 2) reduced subsidization from the State of California. Which both make for rapidly increasing UC tuition costs. However, it's still way below the cost of comparable universities. It's still one of the best deals in the nation, and will continue to be. Plus, many CSU degrees are comparable to UC degrees (depending on program), and the CSU system even cheaper, about 10k less. Presently, a full year at Cal Poly SLO costs about $5,500.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 May 2011, 8:46 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 12:40 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 1:50 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 1:45 PM