Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Subsidized housing and property values.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Subsidized housing and property values.

I'm trying to figure out how a subsidized housing development would effect surrounding property values. Could someone please tell me what the the concensus of the planning community is on this subject- or is there any recent research that has been done? I've gotten some answers from housing advocates, but I feel they may be biased.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a person who does market analysis, including housing, I would tell you that the impact is usually nominal. There are some stipulations to this, though. First, the development should not appear any different from other buildings in the area. This means quality materials, design, and landscaping. Second, it should not be much larger than other development in the area. But this is also true of market rate housing. Stick a 40-unit apartment building in the middle of single family homes and it will impact adjacent properties, regardless of whether or not it is affordable. Lastly, I usually want to see a mix of affordable and market rate housing. This tends to provide greater stability to the development, and tends to integrate lower income households into the neighborhood more effectively, and it negates the stegma of living in "those" apartments.

You wouldn't happen to be referring to the New Berlin City Center proposal, would you?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Thank you very much for your response. This is pretty much what I thought, but it is nice to hear the same from someone else. On the particular development at hand, it is not directly related to the one in New Berlin. However, this is supposed to be a "hypothetical" scenario- posed by the UW urban planning dept., that involves a "hypothetical" community that is exactly like New Berlin, and is under similar circumstances. Indirectly, I have a feeling it has everything to do with the New Berlin project.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. TIF and falling property values
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 10:09 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:39 AM
  3. Wal-Marts and property values?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2007, 5:18 PM