Urban planning community

Poll results: Which locations would you be willing to attend?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Detroit

9 52.94%
  • Chicago

7 41.18%
  • Battle Creek

7 41.18%
  • Kalamazoo

8 47.06%
  • Grand Rapids

7 41.18%
  • Ann Arbor

10 58.82%
  • Put In Bay

3 17.65%
  • Shipshewana

4 23.53%
  • Fort Wayne

4 23.53%
  • Other

4 23.53%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanfest '10

Registered
    Feb 2004

Stanfest '10

Time to start making summer plans. Where should this year's Stanfest be held?
    'where' and 'when' polls/threads can be added later but let's start the initial dialogue here. Let's get all the suggestions on the table first

I think we should head east this year and think Detroit would make a good location. Maybe DP could clue us in on what's being going on recently there with the urban agriculture scene there? Perhaps a visit to Hamtramck might be in order?

Edit: The official location for Stanfest 2010 will be Ann Arbor at the Arbor Brewing Co. at 114 E. Washington, and the date is August 7th at 1:00 pm. Mark your calendars accordingly.
    Last edited by Maister; 06 Aug 2010 at 9:21 AM. Reason: date changed

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Time to start making summer plans. Where should this year's Stanfest be held?
    'where' and 'when' polls/threads can be added later but let's start the initial dialogue here. Let's get all the suggestions on the table first

I think we should head east this year and think Detroit would make a good location. Maybe DP could clue us in on what's being going on recently there with the urban agriculture scene there? Perhaps a visit to Hamtramck might be in order?
    I think WSU would agree that in order for Detroit to be seen properly, it needs to be done at Motor City Brewing Works, Union Street, or the Garden Bowl. I've done an Ag tour in the past and know of some pretty surreal sights around town. The only bad part is that the City is huge so these are spread out.

Did you know that Detroit
    - Has a 4 H club?
    - Has an alternative High School for unwed mothers where life skills are taught on a farm that used to be a football field? Complete with a barn and farm animals!
    - Has a bunch of monks growing food for the poor?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    You can also experience multiple types of bowling in the city limits (feather and ten-pin), visit the largest urban park in the country and partake in the extensive Eastern Market farmer's market or if that's too large, a budding one on the campus of Wayne State University that is scheduled to make a return this season.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I think WSU would agree that in order for Detroit to be seen properly, it needs to be done at Motor City Brewing Works, Union Street, or the Garden Bowl. I've done an Ag tour in the past and know of some pretty surreal sights around town. The only bad part is that the City is huge so these are spread out.

Did you know that Detroit
    - Has a 4 H club?
    - Has an alternative High School for unwed mothers where life skills are taught on a farm that used to be a football field? Complete with a barn and farm animals!
    - Has a bunch of monks growing food for the poor?
    As far as Stanfest tours go I think stopping at a single urban ag site might be adequate for the merely curious - not necessary to trek around town to see multiple sites (that is unless anyone else is interested in looking at several of them, in which case I'm all over that action). What's the scoop with the monks? I havent heard about that.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What's the scoop with the monks? I havent heard about that.
    It's part of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen. I haven't had a formal tour but I've seen their farming operation and it's pretty mature. They may be some of the earliest adopters of the urban farming movement in Detroit.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Provided I find employment within a four to six hour drive, I'll be there.

Maybe, like the APA, we could designate Stanfest destinations for the next decade? Let's see ...

2011: South Bend
    2012: Toledo
    2013: Ann Arbor
    2014: Kalamazoo
    2015: St. Joseph
    2016: Fort Wayne
    2017: Hammond

... and so on ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Monks and Market?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Provided I find employment within a four to six hour drive, I'll be there.

Maybe, like the APA, we could designate Stanfest destinations for the next decade? Let's see ...

2011: South Bend
    2012: Toledo
    2013: Ann Arbor
    2014: Kalamazoo
    2015: St. Joseph
    2016: Fort Wayne
    2017: Hammond

... and so on ...
    Still gotta consider the 48169, as discussed last year.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Still gotta consider the 48169, as discussed last year.
    No way in heck am I going there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Picks the dates, then I might know if I can attend. I think the last StanFest I was at wasn't called a StanFest... It was in Denver and dammit I can't find those pictures. (Dan.. remember suede coat guy?)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    If it's in Detroit and I don't have something going on, I'll be there.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Stanfest 2010

This Bear submits the usual suggestions.....

Toledo
    Put-In-Bay
    Detroit
    Loma Linda (Swanton, OH)
    Ann Arbor

FWIW - Loma Linda is a few hundred yards from an Ohio Turnpike (I-80 / I-90) interchange.

FWIW - CBD A2 is pretty hip.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004

Tours in Day-twah

Freep article

Tour descriptions
    (that link might evolve; looks like it has an incorrect description in the URL)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bump. Any more suggestions/input?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Perhaps somebody who has vast experience in poll-starting can jump-start a poll that includes some of the suggestions that have been tossed around. Let the standemonium begin!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Ypsi is another good (east) location.

Though I'm down with Detroit.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, I have apps out for some jobs in the Detroit area and if I got those I may be available, but if no jobs happen for me, than I would not be able to attend.

Boy, three kiddos under 3 makes life difficult.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Well, I have apps out for some jobs in the Detroit area and if I got those I may be available, but if no jobs happen for me, than I would not be able to attend.

Boy, three kiddos under 3 makes life difficult.
    There are jobs in Detroit?!? Wow you must be using your connections!

Good Luck.

Shipshawana? Isn't a Stan Fest 'bout cities n beer? What I've seen of Shipshawana it ain't either!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Shipshawana? Isn't a Stan Fest 'bout cities n beer? What I've seen of Shipshawana it ain't either!
    I was thinking more along the lines of gettin' all likkered up and h'rassin' the locals. ("Friend, thy beard looks plain!" [shove])

I went there last summer (hadn't been there for a few years and then only to do the auction/flea market thang) and it looked like TOURISM has finally discovered the place. You could kinda see it coming years ago with how slick Das Dutchman Essenhaus was getting - almost like a Frankenmuth West. Now, hotels/water parks are starting to spring up all over. Here's a street view image of the "Farmstead Inn". The Kountry Kitsch shops have already swooped in. It's only a matter of time before they start selling 'Amish fudge' and faux Amish quilts at every gas station.
    Sad really.
    Last edited by Maister; 12 Apr 2010 at 5:02 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If its the last week of June or over 4th of July weekend I will be back in Michigan...but confined to the western part of the state.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Depending on timing and location, I might have a place to stay. If that's the case, I'd make the flight up to meet some of you! The beer had better be good!Detroit is probably the closest for me . . . but I'll have to check on hospitality first.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

How about Austin? Been here 4+ years and not one laefest yet!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If its the last week of June or over 4th of July weekend I will be back in Michigan...but confined to the western part of the state.
    I'll be there in that same time frame. Probably splitting time between SW and SE.

Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    Sounds like someone looking to organize one. I could see making a trip to the Hill Country now that Dan has moved back to the frozen tundra.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Sounds like someone looking to organize one. I could see making a trip to the Hill Country now that Dan has moved back to the frozen tundra.
    Gitchur own dang thread! This one is ours!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Gitchur own dang thread! This one is ours!
    Y'all can come to too.

Michigan ex-pat since 1984.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. StanFest 09
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 11:08 AM
  2. Who's coming to Stanfest
    Friday Afternoon Club