Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cornell vs Tufts planning program, seeking advice

Registered
    Mar 2010

Cornell vs Tufts planning program, seeking advice

Hi all,

I am an international student and I'm new to Cyburbia. I applied to planning school for 10 fall. I got admitted to Cornell CRP program and Tufts UEP program and found it difficult to make the decision. My husband is currently studying in Boston and he is 1st year PhD student right now. If I chose Cornell, we would need to separate for at least 2 years. However, the Cornell program is really more attractive to me, because I am more interested in international development, which seems to be lack at Tufts.

I am wondering whether international graduates from Tufts could find jobs in Boston and in other countries. I think not many people overseas know Tufts, though it's really a good university in the U.S.

Please let me know your thoughts on which school should I go for my master's study. Thank you.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Cornell is better

Cornell might be the better fit for you. I do not know about Tufts program so much, but I know Cornell has a great international development planning program.

I just wanted to let you know that Tufts is also a prestigious university and people overseas even know about the school. I am also an international student and knew about Tufts even before coming to the United States. I even thought about going to Tufts for graduate school because the international relations program there is the oldest and one of the best in the country!

So whichever school you go to, I am pretty sure you can find a job here and overseas! Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by tonylaw View post
    Cornell is better
    Thanks for your reply.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by HappyPlanner View post
    Cornell might be the better fit for you. I do not know about Tufts program so much, but I know Cornell has a great international development planning program.

I just wanted to let you know that Tufts is also a prestigious university and people overseas even know about the school. I am also an international student and knew about Tufts even before coming to the United States. I even thought about going to Tufts for graduate school because the international relations program there is the oldest and one of the best in the country!

So whichever school you go to, I am pretty sure you can find a job here and overseas! Good luck!
    Thank you, happyplanner. Tufts does have a very good reputation in international relations. And their UEP program seems to be focused more on policy than planning. It used to be a policy program before 2000 and was accredited in 2004 by PAB. I think that's why not many people in the planning field knew about it. After all, its planning graduates haven't worked for too long.

I also think Cornell fits me better, hehe. Thank you for your advice. And best wishes for your study and career development as well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tufts UEP Program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 11:30 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 10:28 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 3:20 PM
  4. Tufts UEP Program
    Student Commons