Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Buffalo NY - Elmwood Avenue 1996

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Buffalo NY - Elmwood Avenue 1996

By popular demand - a six kilometer long stretch of fantastic urbanity in the Great Lakes region. I'll post more parts in the series as I scan 'em in. Larger pics at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery . Enjoy.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    looks like a really beautiful place, when did you take the pics?

Registered
    May 2003

Cool

Cool. Reminds me of Grand Avenue in St. Paul.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2002
    Thanks Dan,
    It's like looking back at Elmwood from when I was a kid. I was in eight grade back in '96. Kinda crazy, not too much has changes, except most of the vacant buildings aren't vacant anymore. With the construction season just beginning there are about 5 projects happening on Elmwood, but I don't know what they all are.

Maybe I'll try to take some pictures when they get closer to completion. That empty lot, the "tot lot" is having a building built on it.

Registered
    May 2003

The Elmwood Strip, revisited

Dan:

Thanks for the pix....great shots...I'm going to be visiting the area in about a week and will see how it's holding up, given the city's recurring financial nightmares which is an outcome of the vacuum in leadership, amongst other things.

I'd like to think that despite those things, places like this will endure. Let's hope so.

Miles

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: The Elmwood Strip, revisited

Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    Thanks for the pix....great shots...I'm going to be visiting the area in about a week and will see how it's holding up, given the city's recurring financial nightmares which is an outcome of the vacuum in leadership, amongst other things.
    Last time I was in Buffalo, I found Elmwood Avenue to be holding up quite well. I took a bunch of pictures then, too, and found that the area is being cleaned up gradually. Somewhat less grit, fewer weeds, and businesses ticking ever so slightly upscale.

32nd Street in Denver's West Highlands neighborhood reminds me of a mini-Elmwood; the animated area stretches for only two blocks, instead of 25.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More 1996 EV.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 2:28 PM
  2. Ashland Avenue - Buffalo
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Sep 2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 11 Jan 2006, 8:20 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Sep 2003, 4:08 PM