Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Determining land value

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about hiring a certified property appraiser?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    I need help determining land value and rough year when it was built.After talking to some people and reading posts I'm not sure if this would be taxpayer block or not .

I took some pictures and uploaded it to my flickr account I set up.
    That's nice. Thank you for letting us know your needs.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't think anyone here can help you. Value is determined by countless localized factors, and without a deep understanding of the market, property, and appraisal techniques, nobody here could possibly have a clue as to its value. You might be able to look up its assessed value, but assessed value is not necessarily the same as market value. If you have to have a very good estimate, follow RJ's recommendation to hire an appraiser. If not, do a little research on property values in the neighborhood, or survey a couple realtors for their sense of the value.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008

The "rough year" of building can often be determined.

I need help determining land value and rough year when it was built. . .
    I agree with the others about land value determination.

If you present these photos to certain architecture forums, there are some experts who could do more than determine the "rough year" when the land was "built up":
    They could tell you approximately when each and every private house, store, building, parking lot, and road was put in place.

Here's the Cyburbia topic to find an architecture forum that suits your needs:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36332

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I think that type of building of stores came after the classic store-front before malls and plazas got on.Not sure if this would be taxpayer block .

The land value may cost alot now but to have that low density sprawl I guess land value was cheap when they build it.Has you will not see this down-town Toronto.

I don't really undestand the transition of stores from 1900 to 1960 .Other than pre- ww2 classic store front , late 50 malls and plazas to mid 90's in Canada use of power centers and big box stores.

I think the taxpayer block was in the 40's and 50's to malls and plazas got on.

Again I don't really undestand the transition of stores from 1900 to 1960 other than reading some chat rooms here and there.Most books talk about the slums ,old city to garden city and do not really talk too much about transition of stores .

I can only guess that type of building was transition to automobile.Where from 1920 to 1960 was the transition years .

But I'm sure there are some members here that know more about the transition of stores from 1900 to 1960 .

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There is likely to be building permit records that pin down the date of construction.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll give you $50 for it (canadian).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2009
    The assessor should also have a year built...
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Look I'm busy with school work and do not have that much time on chat rooms and message boards .

I need some info on this .I'm not going make new post or phone people every time I look pictures on flickr or live maps .

My knowledge on the store buit environment is shaking .I don't ever know if there is school that teaches history of stores from 1900 to now .

I know it goes like this the classic store-front the store below and people live above the store than plazas and than malls and now box stores and power centers.I'm not sure where the taxpayer block or the pictures I posted above fit in.I would think some where between classic store-front and plazas .

The transition time from classic store-front to plaza.I'm not sure if the pictures above are a taxpayer block .

May be this last picture here is more of taxpayer block ?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4870857...51796/sizes/o/

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I need help determining land value and rough year when it was built...
    Look at the responses.

Look I'm busy with school work and do not have that much time on chat rooms and message boards ........
    And we're not busy?

Then get to work doing research and invest less time in chat rooms and on message boards.

You're not going to find answers to your questions here.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Look I'm busy with school work and do not have that much time on chat rooms and message boards .
    That's nice. Thanks for letting us know.

I need some info on this .I'm not going make new post or phone people every time I look pictures on flickr or live maps .
    Good for you. I need some more seed trays for germinating veggie seeds. I want you to get these for me. I don't have a lot of time to waste, so hurry up and get them. I'm not going to let you know when I want them, just do it.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Read Main Street to Miracle Mile: American Roadside Architecture by Chester Liebs. This is the only book that I am familiar with that deals expressly with the topic that you seem interested in.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Question:

What is "taxpayer block"?

Appraisal is supposed to be very scientific and market based but we have to acknowledge that the validity of the market based valuation got a little bit out of hand, no?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Question:

What is "taxpayer block"?

Appraisal is supposed to be very scientific and market based but we have to acknowledge that the validity of the market based valuation got a little bit out of hand, no?
    sorry what are you trying to say.

Read Main Street to Miracle Mile: American Roadside Architecture by Chester Liebs. This is the only book that I am familiar with that deals expressly with the topic that you seem interested in.
    Yes that may be what I'm intrested in I will see if I can get it.

And we're not busy?

Then get to work doing research and invest less time in chat rooms and on message boards.

You're not going to find answers to your questions here.
    I did not mean do work for me or say yap it is mid 40's when it was built.But I do know that some urban planning schools cover history.

Do to this is a urban planning forum and most city planners would cover some built environments .And any city planners knows terminology of two types of rippen built environment and center built environment .Where most city planners frown on rippen built environment.And I'm sure most city planners would know what is taxpayer block and when they built like this.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It was built June 23, 1952. The value is 2.8 million.

I do not know what a taxper block is. We need a poll.
    However, I do probably frown on rippen built environments.
    Alas, if only my school had covered history!

I guess I am not a planner.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post

I do not know what a taxper block is. We need a poll.

I guess I am not a planner.
    I agree completely with this post.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

This guy can't be serious. Is the OP a sock puppet/troll?

But any guesses on what a taxpayer block is??

Registered
    Dec 2008
    OK, in an old post (2007) answering a different VERY broad question by this poster, Dan references a development style often referred to as "taxpayer strip" which is intended only to pay the taxes on the underlying land. That may be what the OP is referring to.

With that said, I still always have a hard time understanding what NEC is looking for, and even the clarifications are confusing...it's like we're all....married. Heaven help us.
    Last edited by ursus; 29 Apr 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: found something
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Oh, I sooo disagree. It was built in July 1952 and the value is 3.0 million.

Wait!

Which one of the TEN photographs are we examining?

Stop wasting our time OP. Suggest you join an organization on campus that involves group activities so you can learn better interpersonal skills.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    This guy can't be serious. Is the OP a sock puppet/troll?
    No, their mommy never taught them the Golden Rule is all.

Else she did and poor isolated nec never thought much of it, and the apparent indicators of second language make matters worse.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I agree too many pictures posted so no idea what he is talking about .
    With that said, I still always have a hard time understanding what NEC is looking for, and even the clarifications are confusing...it's like we're all....married. Heaven help us.
    I feel we are going in circles.Sure some of my posts got answers and by me reading the posts here and also books on city planning!!! But my knowledge on suburb,urban and transition to care centric is what is gettig to me big time.

I think the city planners made laws on the commercial strip to do away with it do to it was bad for parking , store owner had hard time paying taxes .Well malls ,plaza and power center is own by a landlord that rents it out.Do to the landlord owning alot of malls ,plaza and power center they can ret it out alot of stores very cheap.

I know by looking at the pictures I posted are older part of the city but not old enough for classic store front.It looks like transition to automobile before the malls and plazas got on.I'm not sure when cities in the US and Canada built like that may be late 40 and the 50's but not sure ?? to malls and plazas got on .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    After looking back land value will not help me understand this at all. Has they may have had cheap land value at the type they built like this and now have high land value .

Some one was saying that taxpayer strip and single story store-front where in areas of cheap land value and where land value was highe than have people live above the store.

Not sure if those pictures would be taxpayer block or any of those pictures above would be.May be clarification is needed on what is taxpayer block .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I just uploaded some pictures in Home Worst Case Scenario of commercial strip

I believe these are the pictures Dan talks about the taxpayer block that has road side feel !!

Here are some samples.

I'm trying to get a idea when they build like that and why they stop building like that.Some one was saying it has a cookie cutter feel and some people say tacky look.

I'm not sure when they build like that I thought in the 40's ,50's and little in the 60's is that true?

Dan was saying some thing about the parking lot was enough to just pay for the store.

The parking lot very small ,tight lot , hard to fight parking ,almost at the street the building,little or no green space ,road side feel.

The street has a main street feel and look a commercial strip ,some cases a unplanned look ,side walk at the street ,mostly 2 lanes one way and 2 lanes the other way ,slower driving speed 50KM or 60KM ,little or no green space , 1 to 10 stores at the most in the parking lot ,small lot ,little parking ,hard to find parking ,parking in the front,back or side most walk to the front of the store, the front of the store faces the street, road side feel.

Typical of stores are bars ,restaurants and fast food ,car wash ,used cars ,car parts ,discont , U-hall ,cash shop ,storage ,auto body ,bicycle service ,computer store ,Beauty shop ,Jamaican food ,Caribbean, Cuban food , car sales ,tire sales ,rent a car ,windows ,beauty salons ,Jewellers ,cleaners ,pet store ,car parts ,part and transmission , ,supper mart ,used cars , laundry mat ,nails and hair cut ,oil filters for cars ,motors for cars ,car sales ,Hasty mart, 711 ,supply shop , car wash so on
    Last edited by nec209; 02 Dec 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Not married

Being a relatively new member of Cyburbia, but not of the planning profession, I find this whole thread a little bizarre. I'm new enough not to behave like we're married, but these forums do tend to go around in circles.

Yes, nec209, it's really true. No one but someone willing to do the research will know when these buildings were built or how much they are worth.

There are big, broad generalizations about trends in construction, but stores are just like houses. Someone somewhere could have a wild hair tomorrow and start building in what would have been high style in 1945. If they do it well enough, we won't be able to tell the difference in a photograph between a genuine 1945 building and a fake 1945 building created for some nostalgic reason in 2009.

So don't waste our time, and don't waste your time asking folks who can't possibly know.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Determining an appropriate plan
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Jan 2011, 2:12 PM
  2. Determining one's political party:
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 07 Jun 2007, 11:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2