Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MIT Planning + Harvard Public Policy: Is a dual degree possible?

Registered
    Dec 2009

MIT Planning + Harvard Public Policy: Is a dual degree possible?

Hi, all,

I was accepted last week to MIT's Planning program (HCED track), and Harvard's MPP program at the Kennedy School (and clearly, I'm pretty thrilled). Now comes the really hard part: I want to do both, and I have no idea how to go about approaching the respective schools to see if some kind of dual degree arrangement is possible. I know the Kennedy School offers dual/joint/concurrent programs with both Harvard's Planning department (in GSD) and with MIT's Sloan School of Business, so theoretically they might say yes. I have no idea whether MIT DUSP is amenable to such things.

Does anybody have experience dealing with these particular departments, and suggestions of who I should be in touch with to best navigate this, what my odds of success are, etc?

Thanks for the help,
    Matt

P.S. I was also admitted to Harvard's Planning program, so I know that the all-Harvard MPP / MUP is an option. But I'm a lot less excited about Harvard Planning than MIT... I'm way less of a design guy, way more of a community and economic development guy.

You mean you got accepted to both of those programs, and you have no idea who to contact to find out if they have a dual degree arrangement? You decided it would be best to post on an Internet forum, making sure that we all know how much of a dilemma you are in now that you've been accepted to both schools?

Here's how you "approach" them. Contact their departments and ASK: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/masters/mpp/contact

Registered
    Feb 2010
    There's no way in hell you'll be able to get a "joint degree". They are two separate universities; they don't do that.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Dude, I'm not looking for the attitude, or for a pity party; I know quite well that I'm a lucky SOB for getting into these programs.

But I also know that there's some fierce bureaucracy here (especially Harvard), and that it would be pretty easy for me to talk to the wrong person in either department and get shot down. So before making a cold call to Cambridge, yes, I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had experience dealing with these departments in this context, and any specific suggestions or advice.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Guys, is that really necessary? Congrats berkeleymatt on all your success, but it doesn't look like you'll be able to do a joint or concurrent degree with programs that don't already have articulation agreements in place. There's an FAQ here that states pretty explicitly that you can't set up your own concurrent program.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/m.../joint-degrees

Quote Originally posted by berkeleymatt View post
    Dude, I'm not looking for the attitude, or for a pity party; I know quite well that I'm a lucky SOB for getting into these programs.

But I also know that there's some fierce bureaucracy here (especially Harvard), and that it would be pretty easy for me to talk to the wrong person in either department and get shot down. So before making a cold call to Cambridge, yes, I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had experience dealing with these departments in this context, and any specific suggestions or advice.
    Dealing with them in the context of asking them a basic question about their program? Here's how you do it. Go to that website I linked for you, get their phone number, pick the phone up, dial the number, when it rings wait for someone to pick up, when they pick up, ask "hey I just got admitted to your MUP program and I wondered if you offer any kind of joint degree or whatever with MIT? No? Okay, thanks for your help." Click.

Originally posted by judyblume View post
    Guys, is that really necessary? Congrats berkeleymatt on all your success, but it doesn't look like you'll be able to do a joint or concurrent degree with programs that don't already have articulation agreements in place. There's an FAQ here that states pretty explicitly that you can't set up your own concurrent program.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/m.../joint-degrees
    No, it's probably not necessary, but I'm just a little amazed at the helplessness of someone who successfully navigated the applications process of these schools, and then asks strangers for help on how to find out if they offer cross-university programs. You'd think someone with the drive necessary to market themselves well would have done enough research on the programs to which he/she was applying.

double post

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Thanks, Judyblume. That answered it.

Registered
    Jul 2006

KSG-DUSP Precendent

This actually has been done in the past, but maybe policies have since changed or it's only allowed on a case-by-case basis. Berkeleymatt- I sent you a private message; let me know if you want to talk.

Registered
    Dec 2009

re: KSG-DUSP Precendent

Hey, ls2091,

Thanks so much! This is exactly the sort of insight I was hoping for when I put the post up. I'll be in touch (pm'ed you back).

Matt

Quote Originally posted by ls2091 View post
    This actually has been done in the past, but maybe policies have since changed or it's only allowed on a case-by-case basis. Berkeleymatt- I sent you a private message; let me know if you want to talk.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Hi guys,
    I'm actually in the same position that berkeleymatt was. Can you or ls2091 or anyone else fill me in?
    Thanks so much.

Registered
    Aug 2013

Same question

Hey guys,

What was the result of this conversation. I am not in either program yet, but am looking to apply and want to know what is possible.

Please let me know thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:09 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 6:53 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Aug 2007, 8:15 AM
  4. Dual degree, city planning/civil engineering?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Feb 2007, 8:55 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2006, 11:20 AM