Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Deciding not to attend after submitting deposit

  1. #1

    Deciding not to attend after submitting deposit

    This question is more for students from years past: What is the potential fallout if after submitting the deposit for a program, then some life event occurs where you won't be able to attend like you had originally thought and you have to withdraw? Is this a case where you just eat the deposit, or are you potentially on the hook for more money? How about in terms of ever getting the chance to attend that school again? Thoughts on this as well as examples of people having had this situation would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,634
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    This question is more for students from years past: What is the potential fallout if after submitting the deposit for a program, then some life event occurs where you won't be able to attend like you had originally thought and you have to withdraw? Is this a case where you just eat the deposit, or are you potentially on the hook for more money? How about in terms of ever getting the chance to attend that school again? Thoughts on this as well as examples of people having had this situation would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it all depends on the circumstance. The best thing to do is have a conversation with the program director first and seek their advice. It might be possible to defer for a year as well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  3. #3
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,568
    I ended up eating a housing deposit at Penn State in 1992 after I got a scholarship to go to BSU...no refund, but more than made up for it with the savings from the scholarship.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    11
    I accepted an admissions offer from UNC in 2008 and did not go. I reapplied twice since then and got rejected both times. I have a friend on the admissions committee at UNC and she said my application was competitive and my essay was phenomenal, but they were concerned about me accepting an offer and not going again. So, I guess schools will hold a grudge, at least from my experience.

    My fiance accepted admissions offers from Boston University and UNC. She decided to go to UNC after she got funding information but she lost her deposit at Boston. She didn't owe anything else though.

    Definitely talk to your program director (as mentioned earlier) and see what your options are. I didn't really talk to anyone about not attending in 2008 and it ruined any chance I had of getting in later on at UNC.

    Hope this helps!

  5. #5
    To get more specific, here's what my situation is shaping up to be: It largely depends on where my SO can find a job between the two places I have been admitted. This may not be determined until after at least one of them requires me to put down a deposit. I get the need from the school's perspective to have their incoming class to be locked in ahead of time, but from my mine it's a little tough to commit 4-5 months out since so much can change between then and the start of the term.

    Thanks for the advice so far!

  6. #6
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    2,944
    "You are absolutely my very first choice. However, I have a wee issue that I want to discuss..."

  7. #7
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Location
    new brunswick, nj
    Posts
    64
    most of the schools will grant individual extensions if you have a good reason, talk to the DGS asap. If your SO is close to getting a job in one of these places, but you won't know for sure until a few weeks after April 15 (for example) this might be the way to go. If their job search is still in the early stages you might want to try to defer so that they have more time to look. I don't think school's take it personally or hold a grudge, but not communicating with them screws up their finances and potentially prevents someone from a waitlist being admitted... a risk they're probably not willing to take twice.

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    11
    @warderjack

    I hear ya ... we're looking for work for my SO in three cities right now. I've been fortunate that none of the schools I've been accepted to have required an attending decision yet.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Feb 2013, 12:10 PM
  2. Deciding between two job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 3:44 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 9:01 PM
  4. I need help deciding between two jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 10:27 AM
  5. Submitting a resume to a job mart/job board
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Oct 2007, 5:24 AM