Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Official decisions academic year 2010/2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009

Official decisions academic year 2010/2011

Now that many and most people have heard back from their schools, has anyone made any official decisions on where they will go? If not, what is affecting your decision?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I'll be going to Harvard -- MUP. I still haven't heard from UIC but it's a moot point for me.

Registered
    Feb 2010

UCLA

I will be attending UCLA! Looking forward to going back to sunny southern California and returning to my undergrad alma mater.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Still waiting on berkeley's financial package before final decision, but doesn't it feel weird to be on the other side of the table now? Making final decisions, sending "acceptance" emails to the one you will attend and "decline/rejection" emails to schools you wont be going too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Ohio State! Looking forward to a new place, after having spent four years in Rochester (after growing up here).

Registered
    Nov 2009
    University of Southern California offered me a fat scholarship, so I'll be going there.

MPL with a concentration in Transportation/Infrastructure

Registered
    Mar 2010

PSU or UCLA

I'm really torn between UCLA and Portland State. Though UCLA is ranked higher overall (for what that's worth), I'm interested in transportation, and both schools have well-respected programs. To make things more complicated, a professor at PSU has offered me a nice GRA opportunity which includes a tuition remission as well as a small stipend. UCLA hasn't even sent me an acceptance package in the mail, and my FAFSA aid notice shows that I won't be getting so much as a free t-shirt from them.

So do I take a chance on the school with the lesser-known reputation in a smaller metro area, or go for a program with more name recognition? Can anyone weigh in on whether or not my post-grad employment prospects might be negatively impacted if I end up a PSU grad trying to get a job outside of Oregon, say in the SF bay area vs a UCLA degree?

Thanks for the help, I'm really stuck here...

Quote Originally posted by a.kid View post
    ITo make things more complicated, a professor at PSU has offered me a nice GRA opportunity which includes a tuition remission as well as a small stipend.
    How did you find out about that GRA opportunity? Was it in your acceptance package by mail/by email? I'm also in at PSU and would like to know how that works with them.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    How did you find out about that GRA opportunity? Was it in your acceptance package by mail/by email? I'm also in at PSU and would like to know how that works with them.
    I got an e-mail from a professor. It's not a sure thing yet, but I'll be meeting with her at the April 9th open house to hammer out the details. The e-mail came as a surprise to me as I hadn't inquired about GRAs or anything. It seems that this professor looked through all the admitted applicants' files and picked out those potential students with interests matching her areas of research. Not sure if that's how it works for all GRA positions, it could just be how she chooses to operate. Hope that helps.

what's your story, warderjack? Are you set on PSU or are you still deciding?

What's your story, warderjack? Are you set on PSU or are you still deciding?
    Most likely, however if my SO gets a job she's been waiting for in Eugene, then I would end up going with University of Oregon (other school I got in). PSU is an awesome fit for me on paper in terms of their strong transportation focus, being near my family in Oregon, it's just I have had a hard time getting excited about it because it's sort of always been the default choice for me. My hope is that meeting the professors, other students (like yourself) and being in the facilities for the Open House will get me more pumped up for it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Columbia or USC.

Going to go to both open houses and give em a fair shake.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by skeeter View post
    Columbia or USC.

Going to go to both open houses and give em a fair shake.
    I dream about going to Columbia and moving to NYC, but it's too expensive for me right now. Let us all know how you feel about the department, school, etc.!

Heading to Columbia, hopefully will be seeing some of you there?

Registered
    Jan 2010
    I'm in the Bay Area and know a few planners here who went to PSU.

In addition, I would say PSU is well-known in planning (kind of... weirdly so? given how un-notable the entire school is, even within the state). I grew up in Oregon and never considered PSU a "real" university, but then when I went to college in CA I heard about the planning program at PSU from time to time (always good things).

Anyway, I'm far from knowlegeable about this; those are just my observations.

I'm really torn between UCLA and Portland State. Though UCLA is ranked higher overall (for what that's worth), I'm interested in transportation, and both schools have well-respected programs. To make things more complicated, a professor at PSU has offered me a nice GRA opportunity which includes a tuition remission as well as a small stipend. UCLA hasn't even sent me an acceptance package in the mail, and my FAFSA aid notice shows that I won't be getting so much as a free t-shirt from them.

So do I take a chance on the school with the lesser-known reputation in a smaller metro area, or go for a program with more name recognition? Can anyone weigh in on whether or not my post-grad employment prospects might be negatively impacted if I end up a PSU grad trying to get a job outside of Oregon, say in the SF bay area vs a UCLA degree?

Thanks for the help, I'm really stuck here...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

Ahhh!

Just wrote my acceptance to Penn. This is absurd. I'm not going to graduate school. I feel like I graduated high school yesterday.

Anyone else sign over half a lifetime of debt payments?

For those in/near philly - where are the cool places to live for young people? By cool, I obviously mean full of bars, cafes, bookstores, fixed gear bicycles, and rock concerts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by banter View post
    For those in/near philly - where are the cool places to live for young people? By cool, I obviously mean full of bars, cafes, bookstores, fixed gear bicycles, and rock concerts.
    All of that can be found in Port Fishington (Port Richmond, Fishtown, Kensington neighborhoods) and Northern Liberties, though that's also the rapidly gentrifying part of town. Bella Vista, Queen's Village are nice in South Philly. If you want something closer to school the Cedar Park West(my favorite) neighborhood in West Philly is pretty fun and not too close to the undergrads. Kung Fu Necktie, Johnny Brenda's, Danger Danger Gallery, the Rotunda, First Unitarian, aka records, dock st, honey's, Gojjo's, Daleks, and Green Line Cafe are all some personal favorites. I love Philadelphia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    will be going to UBC, best choice in Canada I believe
    Nice city, where I can say "planning" and people are actually interested, not confuzzled

edit: and where tuition is so cheap I can literally pay my entire two years in cash... right now lol

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    I think U of T, Waterloo and Queen's all have superior planning schools to UBC...but that's a debate for another thread.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2009
    Accepted into Ohio State. Not sure whether or not I will enroll. I have reservations about taking on that much debt.

99% sure I'll be heading to Rutgers in the fall for the Transportation Policy and Planning track. Still waiting to hear back from a handful of project management programs around Scandinavia though, but I'm neither optimistic about my chances nor as interested in that field as I was when I sent out my applications.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    90%+ sure that I'm going to UC-Irvine and I will most likely do the concurrent MURP and M.S. Civil Eng. degree. Unless UCLA or UNC responds and offers a better financial aid deal.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    University of Toronto.

Quote Originally posted by MayorSlay View post
    University of Toronto.
    Me too! (Most likely)

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone heard back from Berkeley about funding? They claimed end of March, then end of the week...maybe they don't send emails to people who don't get any funding?
    It's the final piece of the puzzle for me...

Deciding between Tufts and UNC mostly. Tufts is closer to friends, family, and fiance and I really enjoyed the open house and information session. I also like the blend of policy and planning as opposed to straight planning. Financial offers come out about the same all things considered.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 24 May 2011, 1:28 AM
  2. 2010-2011 College Basketball Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 10:56 AM
  3. 2010-2011 CM Hrs
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0