Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scenic areas of the Flint Hills

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Scenic areas of the Flint Hills

I "might" spend next a good chunk of next Saturday or Sunday visiting the Flint Hills and taking photos for ideas for my oil paintings. As a side note, I mostly paint landscapes and I passed through this area several months ago. Does anyone recommend any good places for photography? Am I going too early in the Spring or should I hold off for a few weeks, a month? I am open any locations in eastern Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.

Thanks-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jun 2007
    If you wait a couple of weeks, the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in Osage County, Oklahoma will be covered in indian paintbrushes and other wildflowers. It'd also be a good spot to watch some free-range bison herds. You could even swing by Tulsa for lunch or something afterward.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I grew up in Chase County, Kansas and went to school at Kansas State Univ., so I'm going to recommend a visit from Manhattan (and the Konza Prarie) traveling south on US-177 to Council Grove and then further south to the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (in STrong City), dropping by Cottonwood Falls to tour the oldest operating courthouse west of the Mississippi and maybe catching dinner and an overnight stay at the lovely Grand Central Hotel, and ending in Matfield Green, Kansas.

I usually travel to Kansas in late May and it's BEAUTIFUL that time of year. The flint hills look emerald green. If you travel in April or early May, you may see the prairies being burned - it's browner and less magnificent, IMHO.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thank you both very much for your input. I agree it's still very early in Spring and much of the grasses will not be at their greenest just yet. I will probably hold off until the end of next month, early May.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Did you get there yet?

We will be moving to Manhattan, KS in July. My wife and I are headed out there in June to look for housing. I would love to hear about some things to see, or see pictures if you have them.

H
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 19 Jun 2009, 3:14 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Oct 2007, 3:35 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 1:36 PM
  4. Flint, Michigan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 03 Oct 2005, 8:59 AM