Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate school decisions.. any help?

Registered
    Mar 2010

Graduate school decisions.. any help?

how important is the name of the school you go to?

how helpful is it to have a JD along with a masters?
    Last edited by sihwie; 21 Mar 2010 at 2:30 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    in Canada, the name is not important. you simply need an accredited degree to help ease the process into becoming a professional planner. What you do want to be concerned about is finding a school that caters to your interests, and believe you me, the schools across Canada are very different.

A JD would be helpful if you want to be a planning law consultant, or work in real estate law.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    It depends on what you are going to do with the degree.

If working for the public/government, personal accomplishments and abilities are more important.

If working for the private sector, alumni network of a "big name" school is very powerful.

If going into academia/research, the "big name" is almost necessary in addition to your personal accomplishments and abilities. Just look at where the profs at various schools are from. Certain schools will be very well represented.

A masters in addition to a JD is somewhat unnecessary if you are going to practice law. Just put all your efforts into the JD.

I've been in the engineering/planning/development industry for 13 years and have experience from both the public/private sides and have worked with scores of land use attorneys.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Thank you

Both of your replies are very helpful - I appreciate it.

Congrats for asking one of the foremost "pick any answer that suits you" questions. How important is the name of the university? As important as you make it.

Nah, I'm just kidding. In reality, if you don't get into a top school, you might as well go work at McDonalds. Just forget about pursuing your academic interests, personal goals, and dreams. Reputation is all that matters in this life, and the name on the sweatshirt you will wear is the only thing that matters.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Aug 2011, 4:44 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 24 May 2011, 12:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 1:57 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Sep 2005, 9:36 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 10:47 PM