Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PDF edit

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008

PDF edit

Hi, im trying to fill out a job application on a PDF, does anyone know how to type into a PDF rather than printing it out and writing by hand, because my hand writing is chicken scratch lol.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    It depends partly on what version of Acrobat or a third-party PDF software the document was created in. Newer versions include forms that allow the end-user to save their documents with just Acrobat Reader.

If that doesn't work, download a 30 day trial copy of Acrobat (not Acrobat reader) and learn the tools to manually enter text. When I looked for work and I had job applications to fill out, I usually used PDF forms. That way I had a digital copy of the application on file. I found that typing up the application response also helped me to gather my thoughts than just scribbling redundant chicken scratch in the hard copy application.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Utilize software that can open up a .pdf file and at the same time give you the ability to add text. i.e. photoshop (or similar free software), illustrator, indesign, etc. Then type away to your hearts content.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    As a user of Acrobat Professional, not just Reader, it does have tools to type into an existing pdf, but it never looks like you want it to. You can also use Photoshop to do the same thing, but again, it never works like you want it to.

Word will convert a pdf to a text file, but will lose some of the formatting.

Filling out in Photoshop is probably your best bet. Just plan on spending some time to get the fill in text to look the way you want it to.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Photoshop works, although if you went that route, I would recommend Adobe Illustrator which can retain the vector quality and the text can be modified more easily on different layers.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2009
    you can do it manually using Adobe Acrobat (text boxes, edit text) or they could have done it properly like this one:
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

BANNED
    Registered
    Apr 2010

Re: PDF edit

Hello,

You can edit PDF by using the pdf editor software which will be available from the internet.

Thanks
    Mike Wilson

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Try copy and paste to something else, Open Office, for instance, that is free and has a PDF converter.

Formatting may or may not get jumbled, however.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    You can try and have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Aug 2008, 4:16 PM
  2. Lack of Edit Avatar Button
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Mar 2006, 1:36 PM
  3. Control Panel; Edit Options
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Feb 2003, 12:44 PM