Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Texas planning schools

Texas planning schools

Has anyone attended any of the Texas planning schools (UT, UTA, A&M, TSU, TTU)? If so, do you have any information on the general reputations of these programs at the doctoral level? I have already been accepted at one school and I deferred admission to work on securing funding. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I attended UTA for my Masters, but I don't know anything about the PhD program. They revamped the masters starting my last semester. I didn't know anybody in the PhD program, so I didn't bother to look to see if it's been revamped, as well.

I'm sure you can get some recent grad's names and ask them details about the program. Just check with the Alumni office or the program directly.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

I've heard UT Arlington's general planning program is quite good, but like Salmissra, I haven't heard a lot about their Ph.D. program other than what I have seen online. I am actually considering it for the distant future, if I'm able to pull off work and school again, and if I ever move back to the metroplex.

For what it's worth, I am completing the MAG-Land Planning/Development program at Texas State. There is a Ph.D. program within the Geography department that focuses on Environmental Geography. A former planning professor of mine (and of SuburbRepairman's) went this route and focused his dissertation on planning. I believe it had to do with sustainability of the Austin-San Antonio region and comparing and contrasting their comprehensive plans. If you want a full-on planning program at the doctoral level though, rather than Geography, you might consider one of the other schools first.

I focused on applying to schools in Texas because I plan on staying here. I have already been accepted at Texas Southern in Houston which is not bad, but the program is new and I don't know how strong the programs research and reputation are outside of Houston. Although its truly an Urban program in a city that has no zoning. I will ultimately make my decision based on where I feel that I can be the most successful.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    You might want to double-check if Tx Southern got their accreditation from the accreditation gods yet. They didn't have it several years ago, but I believe they were trying. It might not matter to you now, but if you want to go the AICP route, school accreditation matters. It can shave years off your qualifying time.

Don't worry about studying zoning in a town that doesn't have it. There are lots of suburbs of Houston that are zoned, so you can see it in action. I liked Houston when I lived there, and there are even parts of town that were annexed, which were zoned prior to annexation. Look at Clear Lake as an example.

The City of Houston Planning Dept. had interns from Tx Southern twice while I was there. One was in transportation planning, and he was happy in that area, and did good work. He left rather than take a transfer over to current planning. The other - I'm not sure what her speciality was, but current planning/platting was not it. She was unhappy, and it showed in her work. She didn't last long.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Salmissra,

TX Southern has received their full accreditation. I heard that their reputation in planning was pretty strong in Houston. I plan to teach after completion of the degree, so I am curious about the strength and research capabilities of the program. The Phd program has only been around since 2004-05 which is probably why I can't find that much info.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    I'm currently attending UTA for their MCRP program.

The arrival of a new Dean has meant new changes to the school. Eventually i predict the SUPA (school of urban public affairs) will turn to a full-time student/no work program as many classes are being offered during the afternoon.

The PHD program is up and coming but with the eventual shift I think opportunities to research and visit with faculty will be great.

DFW provides a good labratory to explore as well.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    I was just accepted into TAMU's undergrad program (attending this fall), any idea on how good of a reputation the school has?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2011, 1:26 AM
  2. Texas planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 May 2011, 6:31 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 1:05 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 May 2008, 7:02 PM