Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 3.15 GPA on a 4.3 scale: Chances of acceptance at Buffalo, Wayne State, Albany, Ball State

Registered
    Apr 2010

3.15 GPA on a 4.3 scale: Chances of acceptance at Buffalo, Wayne State, Albany, Ball State

Hello,

I applied to all of these graduate planning schools only two weeks ago, still well before the deadline though. I graduated with a BA Major in Urban Studies with 3.15 GPA out of 4.3 from Concordia University in Montreal, after which I have been and still am Interning for the City of Ottawa for almost a year now, and a well written personal statement that has gone through many revisions by respected editors I happen to know, and letters of recommendation both professional and academic that I believe to be good. It should also be known that my final two years GPA is worse than my entire degree GPA. I did not write the GRE.

Given these factors, does anyone have an opinion on which of the following schools I stand an OK chance of getting into? Is my 3.15 of out 4.3 good enough? Any input is much appreciated.

- SUNY University at Buffalo
    - Wayne State University
    - SUNY University at Albany
    - Ball State University

Thank you,
    TSToronto
    Last edited by tstoronto; 01 Apr 2010 at 3:42 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Registered
    Mar 2010
    I'll preface my response by saying that I'm by no means an expert on graduate level planning programs admissions. I'll also say that I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the schools' admissions standards that you've listed, but I will say the following based on my cumulative research when I was applying to planning programs:

You shouldn't have much of a problem getting into any of those programs. A 3.15 GPA is not "bad" so to speak. It isn't great, but most programs will take into consideration that you may be more serious about your studies now than when you were a younger undergraduate. You have to prove this to them by writing an articulate statement of purpose and showcasing what you've been doing between now and when you graduated from undergrad. It seems like the internship you've undertaken will go a long way toward showing graduate programs that you're serious about being a planner for your career.

I should also point out that your status as a Canadian probably helps. Most universities will overlook some questionable statistics about a potential student in the name of engendering more diversity on their respective campus.

If anything, I would say aim higher. The programs you've mentioned are fine, but since it seems that you are focusing on NY, MI, and OH, why not apply to NYU and/or Columbia, Ohio State, or the University of Michigan? Go for it.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Speaking from personal experience, with that GPA, and some work under your belt, you should be okay for UB. UB and Ball State are probably the most respected schools of those you named; nobody is going to scoff at degrees from those institutions.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Double019:
    My reasons for applying to these schools is their proximity to Toronto and Montreal, where I can be close to my family. Although I would prefer to live in a major city like NYC, the cost of tuition and cost of living is far too high for a career that doesn't exactly have the highest earning potential.

I also applied to York University's Masters in Environmental Studies Planning degree, but all the planning programs in and around Toronto are so competitive (admissions-wise) I have my doubts that I will be accepted.

Have a nice long weekend.

-TSToronto

Registered
    Dec 2009
    if it helps. I got accepted to buffalo with a gpa around yours.

even though montreal and toronto were my top choices ( havent heard back from them yet)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Ball State!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Nov 2013, 9:23 AM
  2. Ball State MURP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Feb 2010, 4:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:39 PM