Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who attended Cornell's open house?

Who attended Cornell's open house?

I missed out. How was it?

Anyone gather financial aid and scholarship info? Info about the international specialization, housing, tuition, coursework, research... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

now that it's over, can someone please fill us in?

Quote Originally posted by thebiggestdreamer View post
    now that it's over, can someone please fill us in?
    hey!

I was there and I live in Ithaca, so I may be a resource to you both and others. Any specific questions?

Quote Originally posted by ToPlanIsMyFuture View post
    I missed out. How was it?

Anyone gather financial aid and scholarship info? Info about the international specialization, housing, tuition, coursework, research... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    My suggestion is that you check out these two sites listed on the "Housing 101" sheet given in the packet at open house:

http://housing.cornell.edu (for on-campus options)

www.housingsolutions.com (for Ithaca area off-campus options)

Insider's Tips: "Center Ithaca" located in downtown Ithaca has really good options. You can rent a loft with a greenhouse attached for about $800, electricity not included. If you're looking for something cheaper, I would say try to reach out to others. There are many homes converted into compartmental living spaces for students. You could end up paying as low as $300 a month if you don't mind a semi-crowd and living on a steep hill (hills in Ithaca are VERY steep).

Hope this helps.

Okay, since you're from Ithaca, let's talk public transportation. Is the bus system good enough (or is everything close enough) that I can get by without a car?

(I don't know how to drive... see where I'm from, lol)

Quote Originally posted by thebiggestdreamer View post
    Okay, since you're from Ithaca, let's talk public transportation. Is the bus system good enough (or is everything close enough) that I can get by without a car?

(I don't know how to drive... see where I'm from, lol)
    Well it seems you and I have similar dilemmas. I'm also from NYC originally, where public transportation is frequent, relatively reliable, and economical. I live in Ithaca now, and I understand the limitations of not having a car and never needing to learn how to drive!

My suggestion to you thebiggestdreamer: Begin working on learning how to drive (as will I)! Public transportation is nothing like that of NYC. Buses are available every 15-45 minutes and there are time restrictions placed on non-Cornell routes (7/9pm end times). However, many students, including myself, DO make it work. Overall, the transportation system is very reliable, but restrictive. I suggest at least getting your permit so you can have more options.

BTW, there's a service called Ithaca Share (sharing cars to reach various destinations). I haven't used it but I hear it's another great option.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 8:40 PM
  2. UNC open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:10 PM
  3. USC open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8