Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mom and Pops run out by corporate giants

Registered
    Feb 2004

Mom and Pops run out by corporate giants

I am appalled at the number of locally owned diners and coffee shops that are being driven out of business by faceless, bland, corporate chains like Tim Horton's. Have you seen an outrageous number of closures in your province? Discuss.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mac's and Beckers have run the corner convience store out too. Don't even bet me started on the LBBO!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    not yet on my sunny island because we remain seasonal and chains don't like the concept of either closing up or a way big dip in revenues or hours of operation - we had a Timberland but they left they told me for that reason

we also do not allow drive-thru's for anything but banks which keeps out a lot!

but as my economic development groups and the Chamber keeps pushing for a year-round economy, this is the hazard I present that could be the "fruits of their labor" or rather "unintended consequences"

also, the rents are so freakin' high here that only a chain really can afford it - our local merchants/restaurants really suffer if they rent their building - so we do really push hard programs for buying local so they can hit their revenues to pay their rent and stay here

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    not yet on my sunny island because we remain seasonal and chains don't like the concept of either closing up or a way big dip in revenues or hours of operation - we had a Timberland but they left they told me for that reason

Sunny Island? You must be on Pelee with all the snakes! I am not far, I live by Windsor. Saw the Windsor Transit bus dropping off in front my building on my way to work today.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I don't see what the problem is. Tim Horton's is an honoured Canadian institution. I'd rather see Tim Horton's, Second Cup and Harvey's than Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks or Wendy's. Besides, the Canadian chains are much better than the American chains. Sorry.
    Canada is a place of infinite promise. We like the people, and if one ever had to emigrate, this would be the destination, not the U.S.A. The hills, lakes and forests make it a place of peace and repose of the mind, such as one never finds in the U.S.A.
    -- John Maynard Keynes

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Sunny Island? You must be on Pelee with all the snakes! I am not far, I live by Windsor. Saw the Windsor Transit bus dropping off in front my building on my way to work today.
    Off-topic:
    It's a tongue-in-cheek- reference to a Steely Dan song - actually I am off the coast of Maine and though it is sunny today, we have lots of fog, and our winters are long and often cloudy

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thus far I wouldn't call the numbers around here outrageous. We do have a lot of great one-off restaurants and dives, all of which lose ground as the very successful institutions (like In-n-Out Burgers) creep west and north from California. Big development in downtown Salt Lake right now, and initially everyone was worried about closures of some great places, but I read most of them are actually moving into the new development.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A scary statistic: there are 15 Starbucks outlets in the Buffalo metro. There are 100 Tim Hortons in the region, just on the US side of the border. Nine are on Transit Road (NY 78), nine on Main Street (NY 5). They're building more.

I can't say any mom-and-pop businesses have been run out by chains in Buffalo, only because there's so few chains in the region, and there's a lot of very specialized independent businesses. Laux Sporting Goods was hurt by Dick's, but they shifted their focus and became more of a sneaker and sports fan gear store. Some national chains will buy out local chains; it's common with drug stores (Buffalo was supposedly the last city in the US where Independent pharmacies still predominated) and video stores.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning Vs. Corporate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:28 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jan 2013, 12:42 PM
  3. How corporate losses are reported
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Oct 2008, 1:12 PM