Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gender ratios in university planning programs

Registered
    Mar 2010

Gender ratios in university planning programs

My undergrad was in physics where, of course, there was always a lot of discussion about how to get more women involved in physics and the hard sciences in general, etc. etc...

I was curious what Urban Planning programs--undergrad or grad--have to say about the gender ratio. I did some googling and wasn't able to find any statistics about the gender ratio in planning departments, probably because they tend not to be as ubiquitous as a field like physics or English. I was simply curious if anyone had any information or first-hand experience.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    I think it's usually about 50-50 split. Some programs even have more women. It depends on the program and maybe even the specialization. If you are curious about a particular school, you can look up their stats using this guide: http://www.acsp.org/education_guide/overview.

I agree - probably 50/50 - I graduated 2 years ago and I felt it was pretty balanced if not more women than men in my program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Having gone through the ASCP 2009 planning school guideline report in depth it seems to me that the majority of planning schools are actually a F60:M40 ratio in the past two years. They post statistics on gender and usually ethnicity, too.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by tjordanova View post
    I think it's usually about 50-50 split. Some programs even have more women. It depends on the program and maybe even the specialization. If you are curious about a particular school, you can look up their stats using this guide: http://www.acsp.org/education_guide/overview.
    Wow, thanks for that guide. I'd never seen that before. What a useful resource.

From what that thing said, it looks like there's a fair bit of variation depending on the school.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parking ratios
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jan 2013, 12:28 PM
  2. Gender and racial makeup of urban planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Apr 2006, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 Jul 2005, 5:28 AM