Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Food systems planning - anyone out there practicing?

Registered
    Dec 2009

Food systems planning - anyone out there practicing?

I'm quite intrigued by food systems planning, and am curious how one would go about getting into that niche. I'm currently a transportation planner and can definitely see how that would be beneficial, but I am just not sure who food system planners work for, how they get into it, etc.

Anyone out there work in this field, and if so, how did you get into it? Are there specific consulting firms that focus on this topic? Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Entrepreneur

Food system planning... hmm... does that include planning for renewable ammonia as a key fertilizer and component for an energy carrier and fresh water facilitator? I'm an entrepreneur in the field, do lots of cold calling, and hawking my ideas. I haven't gotten any financial return yet... but I hope to help spark new, sustainable food industry. http://modelsustainablecities.weebly.com

Don't know if it helps, but there it is.

MachWing

APA has a pretty decent service packet on this -- might want to look into what they have. If you were in Central CA I'd give you mine... or if you want to pay shipping I'll ship it to you.... probably about 300 pages of stuff including case studies and stuff... when I ordered it it was free from APA through my college library...

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Thanks chocolatechip. I'll take a look on the APA website. I'm headed to the conference in NOLA next weekend, so I'm hoping they've got some resources there.

On another note, are you at Cal Poly? I did my undergrad and part of my grad studies there. Great place to be - was just back 2 weeks ago for a contract we've got down there.

Quote Originally posted by LTKS View post
    Thanks chocolatechip. I'll take a look on the APA website. I'm headed to the conference in NOLA next weekend, so I'm hoping they've got some resources there.

On another note, are you at Cal Poly? I did my undergrad and part of my grad studies there. Great place to be - was just back 2 weeks ago for a contract we've got down there.
    Nice... yes, I graduated the BSRCP then did the MPP... work here in SLO, but am on my way to DC. Next time you're in town give me a holler and you can have my Food Systems info.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Yep, will let you know. Our project is just kicking off (contract was just approved), so hopefully I'll get down there soon. Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 5:40 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Aug 2010, 5:05 PM
  4. [IowaAPA] Local Food Systems
    APA Iowa Chapter
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Aug 2010, 4:05 PM