Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: SUNY Buffalo and Albany

SUNY Buffalo and Albany

Hello, I have applied to both SUNY Albany and SUNY Buffalo for the planning programs for this fall.

SUNY Albany seems to have a really strong transportation program, especially for alternative and public transit studies, which is what I want to specialize in (well I'm pretty sure I'll like that specialty best). Buffalo doesn't have a specialization in transportation planning.

My first question, how important is specialization for future employment? Do employers only want to hire people with specific training or are they satisfied with seeing an MUP degree in general?

Also, for those of you who went to SUNY Albany, they don't have on campus housing for grad students and I don't drive or own a car. The buses don't run very late either. Are there places to live within walking distance of campus, or another way to get around easily without a car? It would be ironic if I ended up not going to a school with a great alternative transit program because I couldn't get around due to a lack of it. I'm hoping there is a solution.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TeslasRadio View post
    Buffalo doesn't have a specialization in transportation planning.
    FYI, I have a bachelor's in planning from Buffalo and while they don't offer a graduate concentration in transportation, Professor Dan Hess is doing great things in the field of transportation planning.

UB's planning school is also very accessible using public transit as there is a major subway/bus hub directly in front of the campus.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    A professor explained to me that the specializations are basically tools to help you market yourself to potential employers.

In Albany, If you live downtown or within walking distance of a 10, 11, 12 bus you will have no problems getting to and from campus. The buses don't run super late but you won't have a problem in getting to and from classes which can end around 10pm.

The CDTA is also beginning to launch BRT service in the area. They are launching one this summer and the next line to be launched will have a stop on campus.

As somebody born and raised in the Albany area (and finishing up my Bachelor's up the road in Troy) the public transportation system is pretty much adequate. There's service to and from major destinations fairly regularly, and the buses stick to a schedule. Just be sure to factor in a bunch of time, and if you need to leave the greater Albany/Schenectady/Troy area, you'll need to track down a car. I don't know of much student housing in close proximity to the UAlbany campus -- it seems to have been intentionally designed to be as isolated as possible from Albany proper -- but Albany's a nice little city to live in.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: SUNY Buffalo SUNY Buffalo
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 10:46 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jun 2010, 12:04 PM
  3. NYU vs. SUNY Buffalo MUP?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 8:14 PM