Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gun range parking requirements

Registered
    May 2002

Gun range parking requirements

Hey all.

I'm reviewing a development plan that includes a 4,000 square foot indoor gun range. I need to calculate expected traffic and make a recommendation on whether or not the applicant needs to provide a traffic study. ITE seemed to have missed "gun range" in their research for their traffic manual. Does anyone out there have anything I can base an ADT on?

Thanks.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    (as a traffic engineer and longtime gun range patron...)

Does it have any gun shop component? Whatever space is dedicated to sales you could take as retail, for either traffic or parking needs.

It would help to know the number of shooting positions. Is it a shop with a small 2-3 person shooting/testing area, or is it a real shooting range? 4ksf sounds pretty small for the latter, if the range is 25 yards long that is only ~40ish feet across once you account for the backstop and the shooting area/lobby. Maybe 10 lanes?

Most ranges are not that busy so if you are going by the number of lanes, I'd estimate 5 shooters or groups (i.e. vehicles) per lane per weekday. Max 10 per lane on Saturday. Peak times will be Saturdays, Sundays if they are open, and then weekdays after normal work hours, so impact will be minimal on traditional AM and PM peak hours, or on parking during the weekday.

For sizing parking in the past for isolated sites I have used the retail size, plus one space per lane. If not isolated it can often be shared.

If this is a gun range as part of a much larger retail store (e.g. Bass Pro, Cabelas) then I would count it as an accessory to the store unless it has its own entrance.

What's your threshold for requiring a TIA? Unless it's 200 ADT or less, I don't think this would warrant one. Send me an IM if you like to discuss offline.

Registered
    May 2002
    Sorry, I should have specified this.

The gun range is to be located in the basement of the building. It measures 45' wide by 90' long. It will accessible from the outdoor outfitters upstairs, which is a relocation of an existing business and the gun range owner's business partner.

I don't know how many shooting lanes there will be.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. That is a 10ish lane shooting range with essentially negligible traffic IMHO. 10 people max using it at a time plus a few waiting if it is super-busy, turnover about 1 hour per session. Conservatively high, call it 20ish trips in a peak hour, probably 100ish for the weekday, 200 on Saturday. Each person takes so much space, there's little traffic or parking impact unless it gets really large and popular.

Indoor ranges around here are usually much larger, 40+ lanes and around 20ksf, and still rarely have more than 20-30 cars parked on weekdays. These places have retail shops and classrooms as part of that space, which is where a lot of what traffic there is comes from.

Not knowing anything about your locale, planning effort for shooting ranges should be concentrated on noise and backstop issues (both easier in a basement location), and ventilation for indoor ranges.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post

Not knowing anything about your locale, planning effort for shooting ranges should be concentrated on noise and backstop issues (both easier in a basement location), and ventilation for indoor ranges.
    Agreed. That is too small of a shop to have traffic issues except for briefly a few times a month (say, right after church). ;o) Sales is a little different animal.

Registered
    May 2002
    Thanks for your advice. I called the applicant and the plan is for four shooting lanes and one specialty target range. I'm going to call around and see what I can find out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 3:51 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2009, 10:26 PM
  3. Maximum parking requirements
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 12:15 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Dec 2005, 12:26 PM