Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is the TRB annual meeting worth going to?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

Is the TRB annual meeting worth going to?

Hi everyone,

I am a second year master student, interested in transportation planning. I am thinking about joining TRB as a student affiliate and going to their annual meeting in Jan 2012. Is there anyone who's been to the previous meeting? or is a member of TRB? I am wondering what and how much I can get out of the membership and the meeting. (It's pretty expensive! Don't wanna waste the money on it..)

Oh, I'm mostly concerned about quality of their workshops and networking opportunities - I'm going to get a job next summer.

Thank you!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by amivita View post
    Hi everyone,

I am a second year master student, interested in transportation planning. I am thinking about joining TRB as a student affiliate and going to their annual meeting in Jan 2012. Is there anyone who's been to the previous meeting? or is a member of TRB? I am wondering what and how much I can get out of the membership and the meeting. (It's pretty expensive! Don't wanna waste the money on it..)

Oh, I'm mostly concerned about quality of their workshops and networking opportunities - I'm going to get a job next summer.

Thank you!
    Well, I sent in an abstract that they didn't accept, so you know the quality is good ;o)~

As a student, you'll learn a lot if you can efficiently go between sessions and you are sharp and into the research end of things (maybe to be on the applied side...). There might be some networking opportunities as well, not sure about the value of those at this stage of your career.

But bottom line: I'd search hard for grants or similar opportunities for funding. You might look at the categories this year and see how they fit into your education and sell it that way, if there are funds available. An alternative is a smaller conference that has more applied utility, such as this one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    I can't speak about TRB highly enough. The conference itself is huge and workshops can be very specific. There are also committee and sub-committee meetings which I would suggest going to for networking. The conference fills three hotels. D.C is a great city and it's well worth the trip for TRB.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Thank you for the feedback above!

I am most interested in mass transit + high-speed rail planning. More specifically, the two aspects of travel demand forecast and economic impact analysis. My master program is pretty weak at travel demand forecast, so I hope I can learn about it in TRB's conference. But I haven't been able to find a schedule of the sessions. And the workshops cost extra $$$..

Anyone interested in going have found their schedule?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Annual billboard registration
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 5:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Oct 2007, 11:05 AM
  3. 2nd Annual Sunflower Laefest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 01 Sep 2005, 1:29 PM