Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Effects of new USA EPA lead paint rules on existing neighborhoods?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Effects of new USA EPA lead paint rules on existing neighborhoods?

Any thoughts on the potential long-term effects on neighborhoods, especially central-city ones, regarding the USA EPA's new rules regarding lead paint remediation while remodeling houses built before 1978, to take effect later this month?

I was just listening to a radio discussion on this and from the tone of the discussion, it sounds DEAD SERIOUS - to the point where it could put a serious chill in the housing market and very negatively affect the health of existing neighborhoods and housing stock.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    What I have heard about it is that it requires training on good practices. These are practices that should be used to some extent as part of current work, but rarely are. Many contractors probably think that if they vacuum at the end of their work, all the lead dust will go away. It does not. Proper cleanup and prevention of contamination are the keys.

I know that the contractors of the world, especially those concerned about historic preservation, are raising the hue and cry. I agree that the rules may be a bit over the top, but I also think its reasonable to require that people who may accidentally spray poison (ie lead dust) around peoples' homes should get some training on how to reduce the amount of poison they spray.

Will it drive up the cost of work? Yeah, somewhat. But I think some contractors also use it as an excuse to further jack up their rates. Will it have a chilling effect on development? I don't personally think so.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    The rules are more strict but the enforcement won't be there. Planning Departments won't be called upon to enforce this, it will be the EPA or some state-level agency. In this economy it is tough to envision a government agency that has enough manpower to conduct this enforcement.

Then again, as with many government programs, you sometimes just need a few "high profile" enforcements in order to bring everyone into compliance. With a $30,000+ fine for failure to comply that is a pretty good motivator.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Phrases that lead to bad planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Jul 2010, 1:10 PM
  2. To paint or not to paint?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 1:21 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 30 Sep 2005, 2:11 PM