Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Equipment Rental/Leasing

Registered
    Feb 2004

Equipment Rental/Leasing

The last time I rented any tools was probably when I rented that gas log splitter about 8 years ago. I think it cost around $115 for the weekend when I had about 3 cords to contend with. I kinda want to kick myself for doing that because several years later I ended up buying a manual log splitter for about the same price. Granted it doesn’t work as fast as the gas powered and I do have to store it, but it’s small enough it only takes up a about a square-foot of garage floor space. The only other time I seriously considered renting equipment was when I wanted to roto-till some extra garden beds. I don’t remember the price they quoted me but ended up digging by hand. I guess in general I’d rather buy something than rent it just in case I need it for later use but this may not be a universally held value (and probably strongly correlates to one’s answers on the ‘what are you going to hoard when you get old’ thread)

How about you – would you consider purchasing a power washer or would you rent? How about a carpet cleaner? Does anyone rent cars for long trips (not wanting to put the mileage on the personal vehicle) What types of equipment/things have you rented? Are you a buyer or a renter?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am a buyer. I have the luxury of having plenty of room in a barn to store stuff, but I like to share my goods. My brother and father in-law both have a lots of good stuff, so we share. I like to make sure that I am carrying my weight in sharing... although with a father-in-law that is a farmer, it is virtually impossible...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I rent a power washer every few years to wash the deck and the driveway, and anything else that occurs to me while I've got it. I've rented a power auger (post hole digger) when I was putting in a fence. A bobcat when I needed to grade part of my lot.

I will buy if I think I really can be ahead by doing so. That's why I have a compressor and a chain saw.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I live in a city and have neither a storage building keep large equipment or any real need to use it on a regular basis, so renting is what I do. I've rented an orbital floor sander and large pneumatic hammer in the past. And last week I rented an 18" chainsaw to take out three spruce trees that were laid flat by this year's Snowpocalypse. Being a rental lumberjack was fun, but resulted in a case of poison ivy and a giant pile of branches. I bought the Caladryl but will be renting a wood chipper.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I purchased a pressure washer a couple of years ago to clean the concrete deck around the pool. It needs to be done every spring to wash away the mold that accumulates over the winter. And as I look out the window from my desk, that reminds me: I've got a chore tomorrow.

I still need to buy a chainsaw for this year's hurricane season. But I've been saying that for several years. We'll see.

I've rented a van for our golf trip next week to Alabama. We've done this twice before when we golfed over on Amelia Island.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I rent a commercial size wood chipper once or twice a year to clear my brush piles and use the wood chips for my walking paths. I'd like to buy one that runs off the pto on my tractor but haven't done that yet. I've also rented a compressor and nailers for some construction projects. A couple times when I was considering buying a new car, I've rented that model for a vacation trip to see if I liked it for long distance driving.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I rent a commercial size wood chipper once or twice a year to clear my brush piles and use the wood chips for my walking paths. I'd like to buy one that runs off the pto on my tractor but haven't done that yet. I've also rented a compressor and nailers for some construction projects. .......
    That's pretty RUGGED for a...guy...of...your...age.

RJ tips his hat to your generation.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    About 6 years ago I rented a big floor-sanding machine. Those puppies are heavy! Brought it home and unloaded it in the garage. Because I had used one before I wanted Katie to experiment with it on a piece of 4x8 plywood......before attacking the floors in our house. A wise choice.....if you have ever operated one of those monsters they can swirl up a storm and dig into a hardwood floor.

When we purchased the house it was fully-carpeted. Yuck.

Over the years, Katie tore up all the carpets and converted the house to what it should be.....hardwood floors throughout. The big sander was her opportunity to make the hardwood floors look super-dee-duper. She sanded and then refinished. They look great.

In between lifting the machine in and out of my truck....I drank beer.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In the past I rented a small compressor and heavy duty paint sprayer in order to spray in a bed liner throughout the interior of a Jeep Wrangler I had. (It turned out really well actually and made cleanup a snap after getting really muddy!)

Now that I've got a house and a place to store some equipment I'd like to purchase an air compressor for the garage to run an impact gun and some tools off of.

I am also considering renting a power washer to clean off the decks, concrete driveway, and some particularly dirty areas of the brick but may wait it out until next spring because it really isn't all that bad yet.

Usually if I really need a piece of equipment I can call up my dad and he has pretty much anything I would want to use. I borrowed his drill enough right after I moved in that he knew exactly what to get me for Christmas last year.

When I rented the compressor and sprayer mentioned above I was surprised at how cheap it was to do so. I think it cost me less than $25 for the two items. Granted, I think I only had them overnight but even if I would have had them for a few days it would have been a bargain since they probably would have both been out of warranty by the time I needed to use them a second time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I rented a large double-digit horsepower tiller when we put in the flower beds. The local hardware store rents equipment on an hourly basis, so I think I spent about $20 for an afternoon of work. I don't have the space for a large tiller, so if we ever put in new beds from scratch again, I will rent again. But a small one would be nice to have!

For large, need only every now and then items, renting is the way we will go. We just don't want to lose the storage space to something that isn't used all that often. And we don't really have a sharing group in place, or we'd be able to go that route.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The one piece of equipment I'm surprised I don't see more folks owning as opposed to renting are carpet cleaners/shampooers. When you consider how much of an investment carpets are and how often they get dirty, owning a cleaner makes sense (said the guy who habitually borrows the cleaner another family member owns...), particularly for pet owners or those with young children.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I rent so need for most of the stuff mentioned but I am a member of a car sharing program. No need or money to actually own a car so this comes in handy once in awhile. It's about $8.00 an hour or $80 a day with 150 free miles so I don't use it much. Cheaper than owning though if you only need a car a few times a month.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 20 Feb 2015, 5:24 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 4:42 PM
  3. Recording Equipment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 8:11 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 May 2005, 10:26 AM