Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Undergrad study abroad- cities in the 21st century

Registered
    Apr 2010

Undergrad study abroad- cities in the 21st century

Hey All

I知 a sophomore Geography student looking ahead to on getting my MCP. I知 eyeing a lot of possibilities and want to best possible application for the programs which I知 planning to apply. As a Geography major going abroad is highly encouraged. A program was recommended to me through my university based on my interest in city planning. The program is Cities in the 21st Century which is offered by the International Honors Program. It sounds really awesome, and I am sure it would be a great personal experience. For a brief summary, I would be going in Spring 2011 where students spend-

Two weeks in NYC
    Four weeks in New Delhi & Chandigarh, India
    Five weeks in Cape Town, South Africa
    Five weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Studying four classes-

o Urban Politics & Development
    o Culture & Society of World Cities
    o Urban Planning and & Sustainable Environments
    o Contemporary Urban Issues: Problems and Solutions

Link: IHP: Cities in the 21st Century

My reason for posting is twofold. Firstly I want to know is this academically a good choice? I want to remain competitive for graduate school, and while I certainly don稚 think such a program would hurt me, it might not be worth the sustainable cost if it is only going to keep me on neutral ground. Might my time be better spent by further focusing my efforts on GIS, CAD and statistics at my home university? Secondly I wanted to know if anyone has gone on program or something of the like and has any feedback about the experience within the program and after. Specifically I知 curious to know what this will do for my future- and is it an investment worth making from a finical, academic and even career standpoint?

Any thoughts are most welcome!

Paul

I went on IHP's CIties in the 21st Century in Spring 2008. It was a phenomenal experience! I could go on and on about why but as you seem particularly interested in understanding whether it was/is a good investment you should know that the program challenged me to think in very new ways about urban issues. It had a significant impact in my decision to take a year off after undergrad and work in a planning related internship in Lagos, Nigeria and to apply to MIT's IDG program (which I was just recently admitted to!) So yes IHP makes a tremendous difference.

I'm not positive if the fact that I had experience studying abroad boosted my prospects for grad school admission, but not only did it enlighten me with regard to where I really wanted to go with my career, but I met a ton of interesting people that I never would have met and saw parts of the world that I had never expected to see. I would absolutely do it again given the chance, and I've been telling everybody I know to seriously consider it, if only to get the additional perspective that studying in America just doesn't give you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    I went in the fall of 2008. I loved it! Please please pm me if you have questions. I can literally talk about it for days.

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the response. It痴 good to know that it was a positive experience for both of you. GFG, I値l defiantly take you up on your offer once I get a little more time, I would love to hear about the program from someone who has familiarity with it.

My top program of choice, at least thus far, is MIT痴 CDD- which is as we all know very competitive. While it won稚 be the end of the world if I don稚 get into this program it痴 at least my long term aim to make the best effort I can. Rather unfortunately I don稚 have a lot of feedback from people within my field on such programs so I知 left to sort of vet my options out publicly. Thanks again for the feedback.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Goody, did you end up going on the program? I've been looking into it and it seems like it would be absolutely amazing, but biggest thing stopping me is the cost.

If anyone else has gone on this program, how did you get funding? (if you don't mind sharing)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

Cities in 21st Century program

Quote Originally posted by jabad View post
    Goody, did you end up going on the program? I've been looking into it and it seems like it would be absolutely amazing, but biggest thing stopping me is the cost.

If anyone else has gone on this program, how did you get funding? (if you don't mind sharing)
    Same here - I just couldn't justify the cost even though it sounded like an amazing program kind of akin to Semester at Sea, but tailor made for people interested in cities! So, what I chose to do was go through a program which had partnerships with my university (yay less costly!) BUT I made sure that they had a good planning program. Which they did, and I would give anything to go back to Ankara, Turkey.

Out of curiosity...did you ever end up going? How was it?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 21st century New Towns
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last post: 07 Feb 2011, 8:20 PM
  3. 21st century parking
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 May 2005, 6:24 PM