Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Extensions on admissions decisions

Extensions on admissions decisions

One of my programs that I have been admitted to requires a deposit and notice of acceptance by May 1, however I won't have all the information that I need to know whether or not that is a good choice for me. Unfortunately I do not have a concrete date where I would know. What's the most amount of time that I could reasonably ask for in an extension? One week, two weeks, a month? Should I just ask the question open ended and see what they tell me is their maximum amount of time? At the end of this I would like to accomplish two things: not burn any bridges by committing and then having to back out, and not eating a deposit (although $250 sounds pretty low compared to what some schools like Columbia's are.)

Advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    I don't mean to sound like I'm advocating being rude, but asking for an extension shouldn't be a big deal (and wasn't for me). If you really need that last admit response to be able to make a decision, then ask for the extension until May 1ish. If you can winnow some of your choices now do it.

I ended up not using my extensions because I realized I was just procrastinating my decision. But I think these schools are reasonable enough to understand that this is a major decision that requires careful consideration, and they won't take it personally.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 8:59 PM
  2. ArcMap extensions
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 5:15 PM
  3. Admissions decisions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Feb 2008, 2:10 PM