Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Fall 2010 incoming students

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Rutgers Fall 2010 incoming students

Hey! Just thought I'd start a thread for all of us going to Bloustein next fall to discuss the forms we receive, registering, housing, etc.....I think there are enough of us with enough questions to justify our own thread.

btw, I'm Margaret.

Good idea. I'm Kyle.

Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    Good idea. I'm Kyle.
    Oh wait, it just occured to me we met at the open house. Duh.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, I think I ambushed you with, "hey are you Jazzman?"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome (again; seems like I've been saying this on every thread)! Jazzman, I saw your question about Highland Park on the other thread, so I figured I'd respond here. The Rutgers off-campus website (http://ruoffcampus.rutgers.edu/) is a good resource, although as someone noted on the other thread it's mostly used by undergrads and focuses more heavily on the more student-y parts of New Brunswick. People also post vacancies they know about to the Bloustein mailing list, which you should be added to soon. That's how I found my current place. (I also met my roommate on cyburbia, btw, when we were going through this process last year. We met in person at the open house, then when we both decided to go to Bloustein we decided to live together. It's worked out pretty well so far.)

Highland Park is nice, but the rent is expensive. New Brunswick isn't really any cheaper, though. The whole area is just very expensive for housing.

'Sup, everybody. I'm Pete. (Casellini, if anybody remembers that or wants to Facebook stalk me or whatever.) I'm not sure if I met anybody here at the open house, but I was the guy with square-framed glasses, a beard, and a red plaid shirt. Shooting for a Transportation concentration.

Course Registration

Did anyone else receive the letter about course registration? I haven't 100% committed to Rutgers but the letter stated "You may register on receipt of this notice." Has anyone registered yet? If I take too long in my decision, are classes likely to fill up?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Username14 View post
    Did anyone else receive the letter about course registration? I haven't 100% committed to Rutgers but the letter stated "You may register on receipt of this notice." Has anyone registered yet? If I take too long in my decision, are classes likely to fill up?

I received that the day after I sent in my blue sheet, so I'm assuming they sent it to everybody. I haven't registered yet...it's on my list of things to do in the next week b/c I guess I'm afraid--especially if the class size is a bit larger this year--that if I don't, I won't get my first choices .

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Hey. My name is Patrick. I know I definitely met you mricke at Tumulty's after the open house. I mentioned how I stopped going to cyburbia because it was making me neurotic and depressed. Thanks for starting this thread.

I am going to Bloustein and l am on registering for classes by the end of the week. I am definitely looking for roommates. I live about an hour from campus in south jersey and would be willing to check places out for any potential roommates who do not live in the area.

I should be committing today or tomorrow. I wasn't able to visit my 2nd and 3rd choice schools due to getting sick, so they never even really had a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if I met some of you at the open house. I know I met mricke and thecaptaincnr. Patrick, I sent you an email a couple of days after, but I must have had the wrong address or it didn't go through. There were also a couple of other people at the open house who I exchanged names with to look up on Facebook, but when I got home I found that there were like 500 people with that name on there. Whoops.

I haven't even really begun to dig deeply into housing yet, but I was kind of casually looking around the interwebs yesterday and this place looked promising: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...le/1029556.php A bit pricey, though, but I don't really know what the average is for that area. Highland Park definitely sounds like the place to be based on every Bloustein student I talked to.
    -Jonathan

Registered
    Feb 2010
    John:

pfarley80@gmail.com

My facebook profile could have been deceiving because up until the day before the open house i had long hair and a shaggy beard. Would have been hard to recognize my picture.

Sorry to hear about your illness. Hope your feeling better.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by thecaptaincnr View post
    Hey. My name is Patrick. I know I definitely met you mricke at Tumulty's after the open house. I mentioned how I stopped going to cyburbia because it was making me neurotic and depressed. Thanks for starting this thread.

I am going to Bloustein and l am on registering for classes by the end of the week. I am definitely looking for roommates. I live about an hour from campus in south jersey and would be willing to check places out for any potential roommates who do not live in the area.

Hey Patrick----yep, the bbq and hockey table. I ate at this bbq place in brooklyn 2 days after the open house---called fette sau---so next time I may have something to add to the conversation. I will never have anything worthwhile to say about hockey, however.

Yeah....I'm trying to figure out what to do about my living situation. Not excited about the prospect of living in a residence hall, but I'm leaving the country in a couple weeks and won't be back until late June, at which point it might be too late for me to find anything....I've got some thinking to do...

Quote Originally posted by mricke View post
    Hey Patrick----yep, the bbq and hockey table. I ate at this bbq place in brooklyn 2 days after the open house---called fette sau---so next time I may have something to add to the conversation. I will never have anything worthwhile to say about hockey, however.

Yeah....I'm trying to figure out what to do about my living situation. Not excited about the prospect of living in a residence hall, but I'm leaving the country in a couple weeks and won't be back until late June, at which point it might be too late for me to find anything....I've got some thinking to do...

I hope late June won't be too late to find something...........I've got so much to do between now and then (including prepartion for a trip out of the country myself in mid-to-late June) that I can't imagine adding apartment hunting out-of-state to my "to-do" list.

BTW..............I went inside one of the on-campus graduate "dorms". It looks like a dorm from the outside and inside of the hallways, but inside it's pretty much like an apartment. Keep in mind, my undergrad school dorms do not have microwaves, refrigerators, ovens, or stoves. They are literally tiny rooms (maybe 200 sq ft............maybe) with a couple of closets and an outlet for a phone and TV. A couple of twin sized beds, dressers, and a desk. And that's it. So I was like you when I heard people refer to graduate "dorms". My first thought was hell no. But going inside, yeah they pretty much look like dorms but they have all of the amenites of an apartment - plus they're furnished.

The students living there laughed when I was pleasantly surprised to find a microwave, refrigerator, and an oven/stove. I told them our dorms at A&M didn't have any of that, and that as long as I had that I was good. Unfortunately, I think that comment and my subsequent reaction did nothing more than contribute to their preconcieved notions that Alabama is a backwater state.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jhawkins View post
    I haven't even really begun to dig deeply into housing yet, but I was kind of casually looking around the interwebs yesterday and this place looked promising: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...le/1029556.php A bit pricey, though, but I don't really know what the average is for that area. Highland Park definitely sounds like the place to be based on every Bloustein student I talked to.
    Those rents look typical. That building is right by the bridge to New Brunswick and would be a very convenient place to live and commute to Bloustein.

Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    Those rents look typical. That building is right by the bridge to New Brunswick and would be a very convenient place to live and commute to Bloustein.

I remember that building, you're right it's right there on the river. It looks cool, if the rents were reasonable I'd definitely go there. It'd be very convenient to Bloustein and New Brunswick in general.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jhawkins View post
    I should be committing today or tomorrow. I wasn't able to visit my 2nd and 3rd choice schools due to getting sick, so they never even really had a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if I met some of you at the open house. I know I met mricke and thecaptaincnr. Patrick, I sent you an email a couple of days after, but I must have had the wrong address or it didn't go through. There were also a couple of other people at the open house who I exchanged names with to look up on Facebook, but when I got home I found that there were like 500 people with that name on there. Whoops.

Most of what is for rent in Highland Park are converted houses and you will get a better deal that way. Check out Craig's List and the Off Campus Housing listing on the nb.rutgers.edu site. Also email Lynn Astorga at Bloustein to get on the listserv as many current students refer their rentals to incoming students.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Most of what is for rent in Highland Park are converted houses and you will get a better deal that way. Check out Craig's List and the Off Campus Housing listing on the nb.rutgers.edu site. Also email Lynn Astorga at Bloustein to get on the listserv as many current students refer their rentals to incoming students.

Should I start looking now? And if so, when do you think is the latest I should try to secure off-campus housing, particularly in some place like Highland Park?

Registered
    Mar 2010
    hey all!

I'll be there this fall. I wasn't too friendly during open house, mainly from jet lag and early morning travel from Brooklyn, so I probably made a terrible first impression. Anyways, I'm also searching for housing in the Highland Park area, it does seem a bit pricey but it's cheaper than Cali. I'm looking forward to working with you all!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Hey everyone, glad to see this thread! My name's Ross. Not sure who I met at the Open House, if anyone, haha.
    I'm hopin to get something in downtown New Brunswick or Highland Park, whatever it takes to not have to drive to school! I live about 40 minutes south of New Brunswick so if someone wants to rent with me let me know.

There is nothing to do to accept admission other than send back the form they mailed us, right?
    -Jonathan

Undecided

Hi Bloustein 2010 class. I was unfortunately unable to attend the open house on April 1st due to work and some other obligations. If you don't mind me asking, can you guys comment on why you chose Rutgers over other programs, having visited the campus? I'm going to be in NYC on May 12 for a wedding, so I'll probably go to New Brunswick for a day and poke around. Also, is anyone planning to live in the NYC area and commute? I'm coming into planning from an international development/relations background, so I'm looking to delve into UNDP and other such organizations.

I'm Warren, btw.

Nice to meet you guys.

First off, your screen name sir, is fantastic. We could have used Mr. Song yesterday.

There were a number of factors for me:

1) Location - I have lived in North Carolina my entire life, and I do love it and will likely return there one day, but I would like to live in the northeast (particularly New York area) at some point, and this seemed like a good time to make that move. Also, while New Brunswick seems to take a lot of flak from current students, it seemed like a fine enough college town to me.

2) Transportation - I intend to concentrate on transportation, and from my perspective there are few programs better than Rutgers in this area. In addition to the professors in that department, they have multiple transit research centers, not to mention the many transit agencies in the area as it is in the epicenter of mass transit in the United States.

3) Program reputation - I try to take rankings such as the Planetizen ones with a grain of salt (I know many planners don't believe these things matter too much), but it is hard to ignore Rutgers' placement in so many categories.

4) Finances - The cost of attendance will not be as bad as some other schools I looked at thanks to a very small tuition credit I received and more importantly the fact that you can qualify for in-state tuition the second year. There was another school that I could have attended for far less, but reasons 1-3 on this list pushed me toward Rutgers.
    -Jonathan

JHawkins,

UNC grad here, and relatively fanatical Arsenal supporter. We may have some things in common, haha. Yesterday was miserable. There is so much to discuss about the match, the team, the future, etc. If I do go to Rutgers, I have pretty big Arsenal supporters crew in the area . But I digress.

I share most of your reasoning regarding Rutgers, and although I'm leaning towards the Int Development Planning/Urban Development concentrations, I'm very interested in mass transportation as well, particularly in developing countries (hope that's not redundant using development 4 times in the same sentence).

I also didn't know that you could opt for in-state tuition the second year. Interesting.
    I've only applied to a few schools in the Chicago and NYC area, under the reasoning that if you want to study mass transit and international planning, it's probably better to be somewhere where mass transit and international organizations are prevalent.

I've also heard that Rutgers is pretty politically oriented with its curriculum. The courses certainly seem to suggest that.

Where in NC do you live?

I grew up in the Charlotte area, then moved to Raleigh to go to NC State in 2003. Got a job in RTP in 2007, but I just moved back to Charlotte last month. Charlotte is okay enough, but the Triangle area is what I really love about the state.
    -Jonathan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Song_Billong View post
    Hi Bloustein 2010 class. I was unfortunately unable to attend the open house on April 1st due to work and some other obligations. If you don't mind me asking, can you guys comment on why you chose Rutgers over other programs, having visited the campus? I'm going to be in NYC on May 12 for a wedding, so I'll probably go to New Brunswick for a day and poke around. Also, is anyone planning to live in the NYC area and commute? I'm coming into planning from an international development/relations background, so I'm looking to delve into UNDP and other such organizations.

I'm Warren, btw.

Nice to meet you guys.

Hey Warren. Among the reasons I chose Rutgers:

-Location: Bloustein is about a 5 min walk to the train station, and you can be in NYC w/in an hour. Iím not too excited about New Brunswick yet, but hopefully it will grow on me.

-Professors: Iím also interested in international development planning and am particularly interested in studying under professors Carolini and Turshen. Iím interested in sub-Saharan Africa, so itís also a plus that Rutgers has a strong African studies center.

-Cost: Relatively low tuition, pretty good financial aid, and seemingly plentiful opportunities to get involved at the research centers ($16-18 / hr).

-Out of classroom opportunities: In comparison to the other program I was considering, it seems like Bloustein stresses the opportunity to work with faculty members, in the various research centers, and utilize school connections to find internships to a greater extent. Because I have no prior planning experience, itís especially important to me to get some out-of-classroom experiences during my time of study.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Going to Rutgers this fall?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 15 Jan 2010, 6:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 10:04 PM
  3. School: Rutgers Rutgers in the Fall
    Student Commons