Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Boston University anyone?

Boston University anyone?

Does anyone know about the MCP and/or MUA programs at Boston University? I've not read much about it on here, but I know BU is a good school with a good reputation. I know it's a small program, but they seem to offer a lot. Yea, they are competing with some really heavy-hitters (MIT & Harvard), but would a degree from there still hold a lot of value or is there something else I should know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by youvegotchills View post
    Does anyone know about the MCP and/or MUA programs at Boston University? I've not read much about it on here, but I know BU is a good school with a good reputation. I know it's a small program, but they seem to offer a lot. Yea, they are competing with some really heavy-hitters (MIT & Harvard), but would a degree from there still hold a lot of value or is there something else I should know.
    I think its a decent program, focused on planning practice in the Boston area. Many of the faculty members are adjuncts, although that does give them some real-world experience. It is not accredited.

If you really want to study in Boston and don't fit with MIT, Harvard or Tufts for some reason, I'd consider it.

I actually looked at this school but tossed any thought of applying there once I realized 1) it's not accredited by PAB, and 2) it's ridiculously high price tag (I think it was in the neighborhood of $40k).

Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    I actually looked at this school but tossed any thought of applying there once I realized 1) it's not accredited by PAB, and 2) it's ridiculously high price tag (I think it was in the neighborhood of $40k).
    Yea, I just checked on that and you're right. $40k/year for tuition is too much. I've heard a lot of debate over the value of an accredited school, and it's not really something I'm worried about. I'm really interested in Tufts UEP program too, which is surprisingly a lot cheaper than BU! Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    My dealings with the program have been pretty good. Um, I was actually dissuaded by a former faculty member from applying there, but thats another story.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 May 2012, 4:18 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 2:38 PM
  4. Greetings from Boston-
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Sep 2006, 6:17 PM