Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Studying in the U.K., working in the U.S.??

Registered
    Apr 2010

Studying in the U.K., working in the U.S.??

I'm from the U.S., but am very interested in studying abroad for my Master's in Planning. I've recently been accepted to UCLA, Columbia, U of Washington, and Pratt in the U.S.

However, I have applied to some international programs including University College London's MSc in Sustainable Urbanism and MSc in International Planning.

What it basically boils down to is should I study in the U.S. or the U.K.? My desired focus is in international planning and development, which means studying in London should be a good fit. However, I'm concerned about the level of difficulty of finding a job after graduating. I am open to working in the U.K. or anywhere abroad for about a year / two after graduating, but intend to eventually return to the U.S.

Does anybody know of people who have studied in the U.K. / at UCL Bartlett and returned to the U.S.? What types of positions did they land?

Registered
    Sep 2010
    Hi i am Llli from China.
    umm, i think working in UK is nice choice!

bcz My friend Farzam said it is amazing country! Though i have never been there what a pity!

Recently, more and more people would like to work and study in China, and u?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by llchau View post
    Does anybody know of people who have studied in the U.K. / at UCL Bartlett and returned to the U.S.? What types of positions did they land?
    The planning director for the City of Buffalo got their planning degree at the London School of Economics, so it's possible.

Although the fundamentals of planning are the same internationally, the planning process in the UK is vastly different than what's in the English-speaking New World countries (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa). Also, any land use law classes that you might have won't be applicable to the US, where the US Constitution is the base for case law.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I don't know how important accreditation is to employers. Canadian & US schools are under one accreditation system and UK is under another.

If you are looking to gain membership in an organization or applying for a government job, then will this be a problem?

However, North American & UK schools are assuredly recognized as top-notch.

Hey everyone I am going to bump this topic as I have the exact same question as the OP. My situation is a little bit more different, I have dual citizenship in the UK (born there and Dad's side of the family live there) including family in London who have offered to house me if I ever worked/studied/traveled to London. After doing some online research and speaking with friends who go to Uni in England, I am falling more in love with UCL's program, especially in Sustainable Urbanism. I have a minor in Planning and have taken two graduate classes at my undergrad institution, and performed well and have related work experience so a 1-years program sounds ideal. However, I am also concerned about the degree translating back to the US. I definitely could see myself working in the UK but want to have the option of going back to the States as well.

Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Natalieuva View post
    Hey everyone I am going to bump this topic as I have the exact same question as the OP. My situation is a little bit more different, I have dual citizenship in the UK (born there and Dad's side of the family live there) including family in London who have offered to house me if I ever worked/studied/traveled to London. After doing some online research and speaking with friends who go to Uni in England, I am falling more in love with UCL's program, especially in Sustainable Urbanism. I have a minor in Planning and have taken two graduate classes at my undergrad institution, and performed well and have related work experience so a 1-years program sounds ideal. However, I am also concerned about the degree translating back to the US. I definitely could see myself working in the UK but want to have the option of going back to the States as well.

Thanks

See Dan's post above. I think he answered your question rather perfectly.

And in response to two posts above about how much employers care about accredited programs: they don't, at least not in my experience. The only one who cares about accreditation is the APA because it's another avenue for them to extort money from planners.

This assessment does not hold true if you get a University of Phoenix Planning Degree

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    I may be missing something, but why would you study international planning/development if you want to work in the U.S.?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 7:16 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 Apr 2009, 10:53 AM
  3. Studying for tests
    Student Commons
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Nov 2006, 10:43 PM
  4. All my studying paid off
    Friday Afternoon Club