Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Waste incineration

Registered
    Aug 2008

Waste incineration

Neighboring county being courted by a company that wants to build a new waste incinerator, just to build, not operate.

Any here have experience with these?

Below is pasted some comments from opposition.

The incinerator is being proposed by a company called Green First, and may be run by a company called Kovanta (which has a very bad reputation; lots of violations, and lots of fines ... once one of these facilities opens, about your only recourse is air pollution fines, but you can't shut them down!).

By the company's own admission, they will burn up to 1800 tons of waste per day, including tires (workers pull every 10th tire, claimed the CEO at a meeting last week) and plastics.

Also mercury from household trash gets reduced to particles so small it can be breathed.

Is this the way landfill space problems will be handled?

Taiwan went through a lot of these issues, including inferior charcoal filtering scandals, etc. A strong state and national EPA mechanism and monitoring is crucial.

Fight it! Do anything (legally and morally)possible to stop it from being built. Incineration is very very bad for the environment. Locally, its the particulates and other criteria pollutants that cause problems. Globally, its the mercury. No one wants these things. No one should want these things.

Maybe recruit the help of a local or national environmental group. Get some legal assistance. Check to see if you are in a non-attainment area. Ask the EPA to review the proposal under the clean air act.

There are a lot of things that neighbors oppose that really aren't so bad, like a few extra housing units or an apartment building. But this is the real thing

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure....but.....

Tell them to build this instead:
    http://www.the-bluetower.com/
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Check the projected water usage, too. As Georgia has had (is having?) major drought issues, you might get traction by showing how much water these things can use. I assume its a waste-to-energy plant that will generate steam.

The web page for GreenFirst LLC is interesting, in that it really doesn't tell you anything about them. They probably front for other companies and greenwash their projects.

http://www.greenfirstllc.com/

I assume that you mean Covanta? They build waste-to-energy plants like the one in BRESCO in Baltimore (though they didn't build that one). BRESCO actually turns a profit from selling electricity and steam, so tipping fees are lower than at a landfill (supposedly). I'd bet that one of the selling points for the plant is cheaper dumping costs for the locals.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies to what I assumed was a moribund thread.

Local opposition gathered signatures of 25% of the host county's voters and tried to use a state law to put the local commission's vote to move forward with permitting to a referendum.

Thrown out by Probate Judge.

Greenfirst is only a consulting company that sells the idea and secures the permits. They sell the snake oil, then leave town before the results can be seen.

Covanta appears to be one of those companies that simply factor in the cost of daily pollution fines as part of operation.

The host county has sparse population, little industry, declining population, a likely candidate for big time polluters to locate.

Local opposition has legal help, but our state's environmental wing is notoriously toothless on enforcement, despite some fairly well-written regs.

Our state is host to the largest coal-fired electric plant on the planet, and has just issued permits for another one.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Waste incinerators are both necessary and may be more environmentally friendly than hauling garbage. In my experience those who would argue against them have no problem shipping their waste to far-away communities (and the costs along with that) and are truly NIMBY folks. You have no problem creating waste so long as the result is dealt with somewhere else.

Here is an example of a facility that not only reduces wasted garbage but is below federal emission limits. I also think if people see what they are wasting they may actually begin to use less.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Give me that garbage over there I need it for my Flux Capasitor!

The problem I have with the incinerators are the energy usage to burn up that much waste and if you go to the other side with waste to energy you firment it in the ground. Not much better in my opinion.

Yes I think we need to look at other sources. We had a company on the line but they have taken a sour turn although the concept was still good.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Yard waste
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 2:21 PM
  2. Government waste thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 1:26 PM
  3. Government Waste