Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To Mr. Davis and Mr. Bacon

Registered
    Mar 2005

To Mr. Davis and Mr. Bacon

Now that my projects are getting underway I get to check payroll forms on a weekly basis to make sure that workers on the site get paid no less than the prevailing wage for the area. Yeah!

I am starting to think that instead of being a planner, I should become a backhoe operator. It seems the prevailing wage for a planner is significantly lower than it is for a backhoe operator. I'd venture to say a crane operator can make as much or more per hour than the CEO of the company I work for. Thank you Mr. Bacon and Mr. Davis. I wish the Federal Government could suspend Davis Bacon for small and broke municipalities so they could get a better deal on sewers and streets.

For those of you bestowed the great honor of "Officer of Labor Standards Compliance," how many times has your jaw dropped when looking at a federal wage decision number?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    Now that my projects are getting underway I get to check payroll forms on a weekly basis to make sure that workers on the site get paid no less than the prevailing wage for the area. Yeah!

I am starting to think that instead of being a planner, I should become a backhoe operator. It seems the prevailing wage for a planner is significantly lower than it is for a backhoe operator. I'd venture to say a crane operator can make as much or more per hour than the CEO of the company I work for. Thank you Mr. Bacon and Mr. Davis. I wish the Federal Government could suspend Davis Bacon for small and broke municipalities so they could get a better deal on sewers and streets.

For those of you bestowed the great honor of "Officer of Labor Standards Compliance," how many times has your jaw dropped when looking at a federal wage decision number?
    I work with CDBG disaster recovery supplemental funds for a very large state disaster recovery program. I sympathize with what you are seeing. Labor rates are supposed to be regionally-adjusted, but I have not found that to be the case in my area. DB prevailed wage around here seems to exceed what I've seen for non-DB work by about 15% - 20%.

We tried to make a case for suspending Davis Bacon for our disaster recovery programs, but it was rejected.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    A few weeks ago I got a call from a private developer bidding on some government contracts and he needed help finding the prevailing wages for industrial insulation installers. I had never checked out this information before, but all I could say afterwards was that I am in the wrong business!

Of course, what are the odds of finding a permanent full-time position with full benefits in one of these fields, especially in this economic environment?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    The garbage truck drivers in my area are planning on striking because the contract they are being offered is only for 109k a year (including benefits).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Most of the contractors I deal with are union shops, so prevailing wage is often competative. At least in the local market...

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    The garbage truck drivers in my area are planning on striking because the contract they are being offered is only for 109k a year (including benefits).
    That. Is. Insane. The public should be throwing a fit over something like that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Bacon Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 19 Feb 2015, 11:01 AM
  2. Bacon flavored cracker conspiracy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2012, 11:52 AM
  3. Hello from Davis, CA
    Introduce Yourself