Urban planning community

Poll results: Got Counter?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a big part of my job and I love it! (please give your Prozac dosage below)

5 14.71%
  • It's a big part of my job and I hate it! (please give your alcohol or illicit drug usage below)

3 8.82%
  • I fill in when the admin is out

12 35.29%
  • NFW, that's for the little people, LP

4 11.76%
  • We are completely online, nano-nano

0 0%
  • I work in the private sector, have a cookie

4 11.76%
  • What is this Counter of which you speak?

4 11.76%
  • I'll have a Salami on light rye

5 14.71%
  • Other

7 20.59%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work the counter much?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Work the counter much?

this is a poll to see if you work the counter (or not)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Although we are a local government office, I work in a section that has very limited interaction with the public. I actually like to hang out in the section where the "Front Counter" is at because they have windows and people coming and going! It seems like it would help the day go by faster.

I actually applied for a transfer up there a couple of years ago but then they turned the open position into a part-time one. If development picks up significantly or something happens and they need another full-timer up front dealing with the dregs of society, I'll take one for the team and move up there. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2002
    When no one else is able or willing to do so, yes. But its not my core responsibility.

We ask everyone to help out when needed, whether its their "job" or not.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    We don't have a counter. We have my office with a desk and an open door.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We don't have a counter. We have a nasty receptionist. Our Planner 1 handles most walk-ins and if he is unavailable I fill in.

Registered
    May 2004
    At first I thought this asked whether I work the corner much
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ha imaplanner - too funny

and sorry I didn't check my work - the one that says public sector with the cookie reference should be private sector, sorry - had someone on the phone and waiting at the counter when I was doing this

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    When I was an intern, I worked the counter a fair amount. Basically pitching in when the secretaries were busy or one of them was gone.

I answered the phones more than I worked the counter, I think. My cube was up-front near the secretaries, so if the phone was ringing off the hook or there were lots of people at the counter, I filled in when I could.

I remember one time we had this huge hailstorm, so my boss and the secretaries taught me how to issue over-the-counter building permits for siding, window, and roof replacements. I became very comfortable with this process very quickly. I'm glad I learned the task and feel it will suit me well in the future.

With planning stuff (what is that big construction project? has there been any effort to calm traffic on my street?, etc.) or general community-related questions (how do you get to [fill-in-blank]? do you require car stickers?, etc.), I always helped as much as I could, but if there was something completely beyond my knowledge, I would go get someone else or give them someone's card.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Mmm...cookies.

I'm the guy on the other side of the counter telling you my client's proposed development won't have any major traffic impacts because we're going to provide 10 bicycle parking spaces and a pedestrian connection leading in from that 8 lane arterial with no sidewalks. Oh, and there's bus stop 500 m away with service running every 30 minutes.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    At first I thought this asked whether I work the corner much
    So you've seen my office have you? The hoe stroll is right outside. They come ask me for condoms sometimes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I'm the guy they get to go to the counter when no one else can answer/satisfy the customer, or the customer gets brought to me in my lair ... er, office.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Mmm...cookies.

I'm the guy on the other side of the counter telling you my client's proposed development won't have any major traffic impacts because we're going to provide 10 bicycle parking spaces and a pedestrian connection leading in from that 8 lane arterial with no sidewalks. Oh, and there's bus stop 500 m away with service running every 30 minutes.
    Can I send you an RFQ if I ever do work in Ontario?

The kitchen counter is the only one I've worked in several years. And I'm not that great of a cook.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I work it once a year... and that will be tomorrow. We let our secretaries off from it on their day and take them out to lunch. I work the counter for the two hour lunch they go on with our Administrator. The phone call redirecting is much worse than the counter...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    The phone call redirecting is much worse than the counter...
    I've been at my office for three years and I still dread when I have to transfer a telephone call.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Normally the staff handles the counter stuff. I'll pick up the phone when it's ringing and handle permits when they are gone. I both preach and practice that we are here to serve and help the public. Now I started out my career at the counter and in the field. When I became a department head, that went away. FWIW, I've worked for pds that rose up through the ranks but still tried to the counter stuff. It didn't work out so well. Kinda like a baseball manager who still thinks he can catch or play the outfield.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I've been at my office for three years and I still dread when I have to transfer a telephone call.
    Another phone school drop out ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have to work up at the counter when ever a planner is needed. I prefer appointments, becaues usually the people need me to research a specific property, then I have to find out what property it is, go back to my desk, research it and come back.

I have recently had a very bad experience working the front counter where someone actually recorded me without my knowledge speaking about a property and played it for the property owner who inturn threatened to sue me....the property has been an issue even before my time, but since its in my planning area I have to deal with it when ever it comes up.
    Last edited by beach_bum; 20 Apr 2010 at 1:52 PM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Everyone (except the Director) takes turns working the front counter. That means 8 hours of counter duty/wk for me.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Counter? Is that the long thingie out in our lobby where members of the public stand on one side and my staff is on the other where they roll out plans, look at the GIS zoning maps, talk about development orders, and chat?

I don't work it and haven't for years.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2005
    actually the town manager gets a little irritated with me when I work at the counter...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We don't have counter time. There are no walk-ins, and our door is locked. Really.

Telephone hour has been exhausting, and completely derailed me yesterday afternoon.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    We don't have counter time. There are no walk-ins, and our door is locked. Really.....
    That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl in every jurisdiction where I have worked.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl in every jurisdiction where I have worked.
    I agree, but it's not my policy. I'm sure that it's frustrating to the few people who want to talk to us. That's all I'll say here.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I agree, but it's not my policy. I'm sure that it's frustrating to the few people who want to talk to us. That's all I'll say here.
    So no more last minute hand deliveries of permit applications? Way to cramp my style.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    So no more last minute hand deliveries of permit applications? Way to cramp my style.
    Pound on the door, or hope to find a friendly face in the hallway.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Counter offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 1:54 PM
  2. Is that User Counter Right?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Jul 2003, 8:10 PM
  3. My proposal for a counter suit-