Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Average backyard size

Registered
    Sep 2008

Average backyard size

I know how difficult it is to generalize this, but I am working on an ordinance that requires a minimum amount of open space and amenities for new residential subdivisions. The requirement will probably be less for detached SF than for multifamily or patio homes with common open space. My question is does anyone know if there is an "average" size of a "backyard" in a typical residential subdivision?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jenalan View post
    I know how difficult it is to generalize this, but I am working on an ordinance that requires a minimum amount of open space and amenities for new residential subdivisions. The requirement will probably be less for detached SF than for multifamily or patio homes with common open space. My question is does anyone know if there is an "average" size of a "backyard" in a typical residential subdivision?
    There are many problems with this question. The main one being that to be able to generalize average or typical is to understand what you would consider average or typical. No two communities use a singular definition of these words and therefore have much different expectations.

We have 6 residential districts that require varying levels of lot coverage. I don't have a central business district so my definition of average and backyard is different.

Can you frame the questions more specifically to what you are hoping to achieve? What are your standard lot sizes? Do you have a FAR? Any extra information would help to better answer your question.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Get your thoughts together, perhaps a few scenarios. Then interview local realtors for their opinion of what the market wants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Backyard makeover
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 11:33 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Apr 2005, 12:11 PM
  3. Good eatin' in my backyard
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Jan 2005, 4:12 PM