Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camp

Registered
    Feb 2004

Camp

We're not talking about when you and your partner decide to load up the Subaru Outback with your gear and go hike the Grand Tetons, or pitching a tent at any of the beautiful state/provincial parks nearest you, or even sleeping out under the stars on the Outer Banks. Nope, we're taking about the kinda overnight camps where parents gleefully rid themselves of their howling brats for an entire week of peace and quiet enroll their children for a week-long adventure of life-enriching programs, making new friends, and learning experiences.

There are more types of summer camps out there than there are pages in War and Peace. There are sports, band, scouting, gender-specific, religious, fitness, technology, art, space, special needs, academic camps....you get the idea.

When I was a kid, my parents sent me to band camp (no, Alyson Hannigan did not attend) and I remember being trundled off to both Camp Wakeshma (sounds almost as clicheed as 'Camp Granada', huh?) and Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. On the whole I have to say I enjoyed the experiences quite a bit, but wish I could have done more of a hard core wilderness-type camping.

How about you - did you attend camp when you were a kid? What type of camp? As a parent, where do you send your kids off to?
    Did you enjoy camp in your salad days, or were you that kid that moped and was homesick the entire week?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    YMCA camp in the days before all the specializations came along. More primative than rustic. Different things to do each day, it was not unpleasant. Removing the leaches after wading in the creek is another story.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    YMCA camp in the days before all the specializations came along. More primative than rustic. Different things to do each day, it was not unpleasant. Removing the leaches after wading in the creek is another story.
    Good point. All these specialized camps seem to have come along in the wake of the 60's. Before that there was simply 'camp'. It was a place where you slept in tents or cabins and spent the week engaged in various outdoor activities for fun...and came back home sunburned and afflicted with poison ivy.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Camp Whispering Pines at Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ-one week first year, two weeks second year. This was and still is a Girl Scout camp.

Camp Wamatochick in Prescott, AZ-two weeks both years. Was and still is a Camp Fire USA camp.

Camp Melacoma in Washougal, WA-one year, two weeks. Was and still is a Camp Fire USA camp.

Camp Ghormley in Rimrock, WA-three years with my middle school church youth group which rented the camp.

Camp Tadmor in Lebanon, OR-one week when I was in high school, it's a church camp.

Not exactly camp but my high school church youth group did a weeklong summer rafting trip down the Deschutes River and our base camp was the county fairgrounds in Tygh Valley, Oregon. We slept in tents.

I would have to say that Camp Wamatochick and Camp Tadmor were my two favorites. I loved camp and being outdoors, hiking, being with lots of other kids, the activities, learned how to swim and ride a horse too. The RT, despite numerous pleas and offers, refused to go to summer camp for any length of time. This summer she will be attending the high school pre-college program at the Pratt Institute of Design in the architecture track-for credit . How do you say no to that???
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    As a kid I went to a YMCA camp and frankly, had a really bad experience. When I was a teenager, I went to wilderness canoeing camp in Minnesota (with trips into Canada). I loved it. It was a sleepover affair - 4 week sessions. In camp, we did stuff like canoeing, sailing, archery and riflery (got my Bar 10). Our trips got increasingly longer the older you got. The longest I went on was a 19 day trip crossing from Ontario to Manitoba. Also went on a few 14 day trips and shorter ones when I was a bit younger. This camp had a huge impact on me in terms of personal development. I loved it.

At my current job, we actually run an art camp. Its also pretty cool (and I used to be the director of it as my summer job in planning school). 2 week sessions. Its a day camp. Kids during that session have the same teachers each day and at the end of it all there is a big family-oriented celebration where the kids show off their work, do performances, etc. Some sample classes: batik, theater arts, printmaking, Navajo weaving, hip hop dance, story houses, video making, etc. We even had Town Planning one year where the kids decided what items should be in a town and then built them all out of cardboard and papier mache. At the end of the session, they arranged a huge room as a scale model of the town.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I loved camp! I attended:

1) Camp Rockmont outside of Ashvillle, NC several years (in the 80s). Hiking, zip lines, camp fires, dances with the surrounding girl camps - what a blast; and,

2) Camp Fox on Catalina Island off the coast of L.A. in the summer of 89. This was a "Y" camp, and I remember the cabins were only 3 sided, as the beach facing wall was removed. I loved this place too, spear fishing was the best!

So fun...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Never attended Camp, but was a counselor and program staff person at one for 6 years in the early 1990's.

Built a lot of good friendships with people, and had a blast working with the kids.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    YMCA,

Boy Scout Camps -
    Troop Camp on a lake in Canada, they still go to the same place now for 40 yrs.;
    Council Camp, now is a county park: http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/...quinWoods.htm;
    Council Camp, as a counselor, located between Long Lake and Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks NY; and
    National - Philmont, NM

Never got to experience a National or World Jamboree.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    -Baseball camp at the local college (which was a Division II powerhouse at the time) every summer as a kid from when I was 7 or 8 up until the point I figured out that I was never going to be able to hit breaking pitches.

-Band camp every August in junior high and high school.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Shikellamy YMCA camp after 3rd grade (I think), the Hidden Valley Boy Scout camp for four years. Both in central Pennsylvania.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Did you enjoy camp in your salad days, or were you that kid that moped and was homesick the entire week?
    I was that kid that moped and was homesick the entire week.

I attended a few camps between the ages of about 7 and 11 years old. Two of them were Girl Scout camps. I enjoyed the activities, especially the arts & crafts, but I was quite shy at that age, and not particularly comfortable with kids that I didn't know. Unlike kjelsadek, I didn't like being outdoors - that wasn't until I was an adult! - and I couldn't swim.

At least I could come home at the end of the day. I remember the first time I went to "sleepaway" camp with the Girl Scouts. I had never slept in a tent before (and these were platform tents!), and the outdoor latrines were just icky. What can I say? I was not a happy camper...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Bet I'm the only one here that was forced to go to camp... by a judge!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Perhaps, but the President of the United States forced me to go military camp for two years!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I went to a Boy Scouts day camp for a week once. That's it.

My wife went to Blue Lake music camp for a number of years when she was younger.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Growing up on a farm, I never went to camp. It seemed redundant.

Of course that was in the "old days" before all the specialized camps that there are nowadays.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never went to camp as a kid. We were too poor. Well, I wasn't poor, my parents just sort of drug me along with them.*

*Credit goes to Rodney Carrington.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I also never went to camp-never wanted to. I went hunting, fishing, swimming and boating. My family also went to Michigan for vacation or to Chicago, so there wasn't much point to it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Went to basball camp for three years & even did a double session one year.

Music camp from several years (age 11 & 15) in central Florida, but that was kinda a jip because my parents were conselours.

Now my daughter goes to summer camp for three weeks and loves it. Her Aunt went there growing up and sent her two daughters and then offered to send our little one. Last year her cousin was a junior conselour so this year will be her second year.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Church camp in Central TX two years in a row, during middle school. OK, had fun, but a little too close to nature for me.

Band camp at a local University three summers in junior high/early high school. Learned tons of stuff, slept in dorms and had the college cafeteria exposure, but more competitive than fun, and the lack of adult supervision lead to some interesting hijinks on the quad! My roommate was expelled the next to last day - created some problems with the performance, since she was a soloist!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Perhaps, but the President of the United States forced me to go military camp for two years!
    Guess I should admit that the Army wasn't my first camping experience. I also endured church, 4-H, and Boy Scout camps in my youth. I like to camp on my own but organized camps and cruises fall in the "No expletive Way" category in my book. I just can't pay someone to tell me how to enjoy my time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I would like to hear the story of your escape.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I would like to hear the story of your escape.
    My brother actually "escaped" from Boy Scout camp when he was 11/12. He ended up walking a few miles out of the camp but must of decided it was too long a walk. He ended up calling my mom and she picked him up. I think he came back to camp though.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I never went to a traditional "camp" and I'm glad for it. I couldn't stand to be away from family and friends and be forced to do stuff with people I don't know. Why go rowing with strangers and eat crap food and sleep in a questionable bed when I could play baseball or basketball with my brothers, ride my bike all over town, play with my friends, and enjoy my dad's grilling, my mom's summer salads, and my own comfortable bed?

I did a sports camp through our park district one year, but it wasn't really camp. It was more like my mom dropping me at the rec center for 2 or 3 hours each day where I basically did gym class for about 2 weeks.

I also did a winter camp/field trip in sixth grade, but I was there with my classmates, friends, and teachers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found that it's not what you do, but who you do it with, that matters most. And anything can be fun if it's with your friends.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I send my daughters to one week of camp at Camp Newaygo. I would like for them to go for 2, maybe next year. I never went to camp, it would have been nice, but not at a young age, preteen or teenagers are better suited for being away from home for a week at a time.

My kids loved camp , they knew not a soul but managed to forge some friendships that continued afterwards via email, FB etc. I think it really depends on thephilosophy of the camp and their mission, on how well the kids adjust and deal with being away from home.

I thought for sure the food was gonna suck, but my kids loved the food!

And the main lodge is brand new and gorgeous, in a hilly wooded setting on a lake. makes me want to go away for camp.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I also never went to camp-never wanted to. I went hunting, fishing, swimming and boating. My family also went to Michigan for vacation or to Chicago, so there wasn't much point to it.
    I need to amend this. I went to Hooiser's Boy State in high school, which might qualify as a camp. It was a week of political science down in Terra Haute.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer Camp
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Jul 2013, 7:31 AM
  2. Camp
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 9:18 AM
  3. Training camp