Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online master's degrees

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Online master's degrees

I'm kicking around the idea of restarting my master's degree. The problem is that I'm not near any university that offers a master's in planning, so I was considering doing it on-line. Has anyone had experience in working on their master's on-line? Are their any planning schools that offer it?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't know of any planning programs that have online programs but there are several related disciplines that have online programs, such as public administration, economic development, and housing. I would encourage you to stick to an online program run through a traditional bricks-and-mortar university and not go through a solely-online program. Not that the degree would mean less but I still don't think online colleges have the reputation to make it worthwhile. But again, if you got an online degree from say UCLA in Public Administration it would be the equivalent of a traditional degree.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    The Kansas State University's College of Architecture, Planning, & Design offers an online Masters in Community Development. While it's not quite a comprehensive city planning degree, as it's focus seems to be more on community organizing and empowerment, it is administered by their Regional & Community Planning Department.

http://capd.ksu.edu/larcp/academics/...ty-development

There seem to be several distance learning programs in town/county/regional planning at UK schools.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I'm kicking around the idea of restarting my master's degree. The problem is that I'm not near any university that offers a master's in planning, so I was considering doing it on-line. Has anyone had experience in working on their master's on-line? Are their any planning schools that offer it?
    an even more educated Whose Yur Planner could make things downright victorian around here

This would be cool, but not online:
    http://www.unima.mw/
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    an even more educated Whose Yur Planner could make things downright victorian around here

This would be cool, but not online:
    http://www.unima.mw/
    Jealousy will get you nowhere bud. Besides, you have a near perfect life. Back on topic, I have my undergrad in public administration (public affairs for all you SPEA grads), thanks to Indiana University eliminating the planning concentration after I switched from criminal justice to planning. While all that proved helpful when I became a PD, I would like a Master's in planning. I had planning classes in college and would like a degree in it, since I've been in planning for 20+years. I've also had enough management training/leadingship classes outside of college.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Suggest you review the course descriptions carefully. I was taking (classroom) work towards a masters. One program had trouble retaining/replacing its frontliners (and its GIS course debacles resulted in my getting a tuition waiver for those credit hours). The other included Site Plan 101 as a requirement. Don't get me started on the customer unfriendliness of the profs...

Those two schools led me to the conclusion that I don't need to pay someone for additional education, and it's just a couple of letters after my name. (Most of my training has been at company expense where they pay me to learn something; I like that better.)

HTH

Registered
    Dec 2002
    Iowa State offers an online Masters in Community Development in partnership with a number of other schools in the region. Here is the link: http://www.agde.iastate.edu/programs/cdev.php

Penn State also offers an online Masters in Community & Economic Development... http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/Maste...t_mcedev.shtml

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Found this today:

NAU MAdmin
    Online/distance MAdmin with concentration in Community/Land Use Planning (amongst others, including a self-designed concentration option) from Northern Arizona University.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Oct 2010, 4:32 PM
  2. Online degrees: are they worth it?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Dec 2008, 1:43 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 21 Apr 2008, 11:25 PM
  4. Online Degrees
    Student Commons